Home improvement

I tried that and I couldn’t find the flow restrictor. I took something out (that I thought was the flow restrictor) and it made things worse. I admittedly suck at this stuff, so it could entirely be a me problem.

My roof has a number of areas where rainwater (and snowmelt) slowly drains through the soffit/fascia. The roof looks great and was replaced a couple years before we bought it in 2015, but the previous owners very clearly cheaped out on almost all of their renovation/maintenance projects. I don’t see any areas where there would be a leak or anything, so I’m wondering if there’s some sort of edging condensation barrier or other “roofing 101” thing that was just left out.

Any ideas? The soffit is slowly starting to rot in some areas. This picture isn’t the worst of it, but it’s the closest to my front door and easiest to get to.

It could be missing drip edge, which can cause runoff to curl around the shingle and back to the fascia. But I’d guess leaks from nail holes further up the roof and improper or missing underlayment.

Whatever it is I doubt there’s an easy fix and you should call a roofer asap or that soffit rot is going to turn into structural rot.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately that’s about what I was expecting. I’ll make some calls.

@Rivaldo can I get a price check on some Plumbing?

Break up floor around cast iron 90
-cut out copper waste fittings
-reconnect to horizontal piping underground
-replace copper for laundry tub drain
-reconnect to copper vent for laundry tub
-backfill and patch concrete

Quote is for about 700 US dollars

https://i.imgur.com/9sRcdVw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6naqUYr.jpg

1 Like

that’s a good deal. I dont see why they are getting in the concrete floor at all, unless the job included replacing the continuation of that line. that’s 4" cast-iron( or clay) from there to where it ultimately connects to the city main for the neighborhood

u can just remove the copper, lead and and oakum. preserve the hub and they make a 4" donut rubber insert, into which the new pipe travels

how much length of the cast iron pipe is between the floor, and where the hub starts? if it’s 1.5 or 2 inches, u can cut the hub off entirely and transition with a fernco or no-hub coupling

1 Like

Maybe three or four inches. Anyway I’ll just let them do whatever they think they need to do. Thanks!

1 Like

yeah $700 isn’t a bad amount if they do everything you said they would

1 Like
Summary

2 Likes

nice job, mayne

had missed a couple shifts for that gout flareup, so volunteered to work 4 hours earlier tonight, and met the most precious 3-year-old corgi named Tigahhh. he and i were about wrastlin

3 Likes

Garbage disposal jammed. Damaged a wooden spoon trying to rotate the blades, can’t seem to reset it from the button. It doesn’t have an Allen Wrench release on the bottom. I’m going to purchase an offset wrench and try to use that later today; I was reading that these tend to work when all else fails. Any other ideas before I end up spending $100 for someone to spend five minutes fixing it? I know sometimes disposals just crap out and that’s it, we’ve been in this house for 6+ years and both have already had to be replaced.

Update - it worked

4 Likes

Our house has hard water, our supply is off a well. From time to time it causes annoying but not serious clogging in our systems, notable the intake to the laundry machine and the aerators on our faucet will get clogged up.

Anyway, I thought you guys might find today’s “misadventures of an actuary trying to do a basic household chore” entertaining. My upstairs bathroom sink is running slow. Not a big deal, almost certainly I just need to clean the aerator. Easy enough to take out, right? Just grab the wrench and remember “lefty loosey, righty tighty” and turn.

Of course yours truly forgot that the aerator is “upside down” so to speak, so standing above it and turning it left is just cranking it into the faucet even tighter. Took me 10 minutes to figure out what the fuck was going one.

This is why I do this stuff when my wife is not around to watch me.

7 Likes

We once had a leak coming from our kitchen faucet - I was pretty sure it was an o-ring/gasket, so easy fix. Got the part for a few bucks and then pulled up a video on how to repair it. Basically just had to remove the faucet, take a couple pieces apart, put in the new gasket, and put it back together.

I followed the steps carefully, but just could not get the faucet out from the counter. Yanked and yanked, checked to be sure I removed all the nuts and what-not, yanked and yanked, it wouldn’t come out.

What I forgot was that the spray hose was still connected and thus was blocking the faucet from coming out of the hole in the counter. I had watched a video that had a faucet without a spray hose. I totally fucked up the hose. Turned out it was expensive to replace and I couldn’t just run to a store and get one, so I bought a whole new faucet.

I’m not always successful when I try to fix things around the house, but that was the one time I really fucked something up worse than had I just left it.

Me and you trying to fix something at the house would be a remake of this:

dandd

I’m actually ok at fixing things, I just don’t have the equipment a lot of the time (namely saws), so I have to leave some medium-sized things to the professionals. Plus, I’m the only one in the house with any home improvement competence, so I am often nervous to try something, as I have no backup in case I get stuck part way through.

Replaced our master bathroom sink last year. Started with the faucet, but then discovered the sink was rusting out, so I replaced everything. Turned out that the drain hole didn’t line up with the existing plumbing - the previous homeowner had jerry-rigged the pipes to align with the old sink and stuff was basically cemented together. I tried all sorts of pipe combinations, but couldn’t get anything to fit - the drain hole was just too close to the drain pipe coming from the wall. I was not brave enough to try to saw the cemented extension off.

Because I was the only one in the house who had any sort of skill, we didn’t use that sink for weeks while I tried to figure it out. Finally, someone at Home Depot showed me a flexible pipe that conformed to code and sure enough, it worked…just barely.

1 Like

1 Like

Thankfully my brother in law is pretty good with house stuff. It’s amazing what you can get done with two sets of hands and YouTube.

1 Like

Yeah, my wife has asked me, “How do you know how to do all this stuff?”

My answer is simply that I look things up on the internet and just try.