Home improvement

My wife and I are at the point where when the clothes washer stops agitating, she says “get your tools, I’ll pull up YouTube.”

2 Likes

Old post and saw the update that things were fixed but putting a new disposal in is very easy and while it will cost some money to buy one, definitely should never be paying anybody to fix one over just putting a new one in.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/CatWorkers/status/1617903879710191618?t=sqps4_ioKoVKbddSf1rvTA&s=19

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1619376195166179328

2 Likes

Oof. My wife heard the dryer we bought off of Facebook years ago go pop and stop working. Took off the cover and apparently the thermal fuse was missing and someone had just alligator clipped the fuse wires together. That plus a lot of lint under the cover, whew. Hopefully we can last the weekend until Presidents Day to get a new washer and dryer

1 Like

Yikes. My house basically burned down when I was 17 from a dryer fire. Shit is scary

Would anyone here know if asbestos underlay is a thing and what it would look like?

Obviously I only thought about this after I started tearing the stuff to pieces with my bare hands.

2 Likes

that just looks like shitty flooring, not asbestos, to me.

asbestos underlay is rolled out? my house thankfully didn’t have that, but it does have shingle i’ll have to remove.

I’m hoping it’s this

If it’s old, it’s probably not that.

The conservative advice is to have it tested of course. If you’re going to proceed with the demo yourself, you should wear a respirator.

How complex is getting it tested?

Not particularly. Not where I am. The bigger consideration is what happens if you know it’s asbestos.

Am I dead at that point? The only reason I’m taking the floor up is we’re having the house rewired and they need to get under the floorboards.

It would hardly just kill you. Not saying it’s safe, but it would hardly just kill you. You know the fake snow in The Wizard of Oz (and just about everywhere else at the time) was pure asbestos all fluffed out and at its most dangerous. Not everyone died. (well, they may all be dead, but from a variety of causes)

Imo, if you do it yourself, you should take precautions just in case. If you have it tested and find out that its is for sure asbestos, depending on the law and ethics, you’re going to be required to have it dealt with by asbestos removal/abatement professionals.

2 Likes

Last survivor of The Wizard of Oz - died at 98 years old in 2018.

Well I already look worse than this guy so I’ll not worry too much.

Friend of a friend is a floor layer so they are gonna come and have a look at it and see if it’s something they recognise. If not then I guess I’ll get it tested.

1 Like