Home improvement

Is there a set screw that locks the shelf to the bracket? It’d be a tiny hex head that’s recessed a bit. Check both sides.

I don’t see this. As far as I can tell, it is a solid piece of wood. YouTube told me to look for little wood-colored stickers on the shelf, under which the screws may be hiding (don’t see those either).

i see you’ve tried hammering from below. sometimes it helps if you can pull with one hand on the shelf up, and lightly tap with the hammer from below at the same time. usually several taps are necessary, but it could be more. it may also help if another person could pull or hammer. the idea is that if the male end is stuck through a narrow opening on the shelf side, you are providing both static and dynamic forces to help it slip out.

The one of these I’ve seen you just pull it out straight back from the wall.

I think pull harder and straighter and maybe sort of vibrate it as you pull.

Or, a sawzall.

I want to add a water softener to my well system. I am seeing info online about salt and non-salt ones but it’s hard to parse what is good advice and what is marketing. Does anyone here know if there is a clear preference for one vs the other?

Quotes of 10k and 8k for a fucking deck awning? Really? To get the sun off me?

From my reading, it seems that the salt is used to flush out the filtration system of the accumulated minerals that collect during the ongoing water softening and filtration processes. There must be a non-salt-based way of doing this, too, but the salt-based method seems popular and effective.

I’m also looking at a filtration and softening system for our tank and will likely be going with a salt-based product. This company does a good job explaining everything that their product does.

1 Like

2 Likes

Because of BIDEN’S INFLATION CRISIS those hats cost $7,000.

Might not be much help but I recently installed a couple of floating shelves that came with a full size tube of adhesive, alot more that ever would be needed. If there are no signs of anyway the shelf is connected to the bracket it’s possible it might be a similar setup where they just went a bit overboard with adhesive and its just a matter of breaking the seal although that can be easier said than done, especailly without damaging the wall behind the shelf .

As always, if brute force doesn’t work, you’re not using enough

Materials are expensive. Contractors have also figured out they should have been charging more and now they are.

This makes a lot of sense. There’s no logical reason why I can’t get this thing off the bracket, other than adhesive or some unforeseen variable being the wildcard.

As Microbet and VFS suggested, my next move is to toggle the shelf vertically (hit it) and pull it towards me simultaneously. My only worry is that I fuck up the wall.

The rational play is to wait until my handyman list gets long enough that I get a professional out here to not-fuck-this-up, but at this point I’m nearly seeing red on this and just wanna defeat the shelf. It’s an inanimate object, and I’m a hammerhead American - this shelf is fucking with my fragile senses of value and ability. Maybe I just need to talk about it in therapy.

1 Like

I saw this on a YT short and apparently this person saw the same thing on a tiktok.

someone else uses vinegar

1 Like

Can’t really tell much from your tiny picture, but one washer per connection typically, and then just screw it on. Do you have good pressure with just the hose? If so, I’d replace the whole thing. You can get those for under $50 and DIY in about 10 minutes. Or you can try cleaning it per microbet’s vids if it’s some super fancy high end sprayer that you want to save.

If you don’t have good pressure with just the hose, then call a plumber. And probably a drywall guy after that.

Oh, parting thought. Is the diverter one of the ones where you pull up the little knob on the tub spout, and is that spout noticeably leaking a lot when the shower is in use? If so, that may be something you can fix by fiddling with it a bit.

1 Like

There’s a pipe coming out of your wall called the shower arm that looks like this:

brushed-nickel-hansgrohe-shower-arms-27411823-64_1000-1120999768

Everything past that pipe is easily replaced and sold as a kit, either just a shower head, or bracket/hose/shower head. Any local hardware or plumbing supply store will have a bunch in stock, ranging from ~$30 to $$$. Old one screws off, new one screws on.

You can fill a one gallon bucket and time it to get an idea of your flow rate, both with and without the shower head. It will always be slower with the head on, and unless it’s really really old, in CA it will be restricted to 1.8 gallons a minute. It should be much higher than that with just the hose, and not significantly lower through the shower head.

2 Likes

While we’re on the topic I don’t suppose you have any good tricks to mess with the shower head such that it does not dampen the flow so severely. I remember googling this once and I could not successfully implement any of the ideas I saw.

Most shower heads have a flow restrictor.

Or clean it. A lot of times particles will get stuck in the head reducing flow.

See the above article for cleaning the flow restrictor.

Vinegar will get rid of lime build-up, but sometimes small particles of other things get stuck in the head that won’t dissolve.