Home improvement

Do you guys know anything about washers? I have a front loading washer, and got an error message that machine was have water supply problems. I disconnected the water hoses in the back to test them, the water pressure was fine but I noticed that the prior owner seems to have manually jammed in a metal filter between the water hose and the inlet valve.

Anyway, I was expecting to find a plastic filter that looks something like this:

shopping

Do you guys know if these filters are “one size fits all” for washing machines? I have an old Whirlpool unit but I can’t find anything on Amazon that specifies that it’ll fit a Whirlpool model.

Metal screen ones aren’t uncommon and often come with the hoses. They’re are all the same, standard garden hose size. You probably don’t even need a filter.

You’re also supposed to replace the hoses routinely, so you could buy a new pair that comes with filters if you’re worried about it.

1 Like

Thanks. We’re on a well system so the machine does get a little more residue from the water (especially on the cold tap I think) so I want to have a filter in place. Good call on replacing the hoses, we bought this place 2 and a half years ago and who knows how long the prior owners had been using old hoses.

Yeah, not a bad idea to have them if you’re on a well and don’t have a decent filter upstream.

Good news for @microbet .

1 Like

I moved into a new house and need to replace the washer and dryer. One of the problems with the current washing machine is that it clogs after the clean cycle and does not completely drain all the water.

Is there a way to tell where exactly the clog is occurring? From my intuition, it seems that the clog is either in the machine itself, in the connection hoses that are exposed behind the machine, or in the drainage system that brings the water down to the drain in the basement.

When I get a new washing machine, I’ll also purchase new connection hoses. I guess what I’m asking is - does a new machine and new hoses guarantee that the clog will go away, or should I do some other kind of diagnosis on the system?

Also I am in CA and am dealing with hard water, which from what I can tell is a usual culprit in clogging water systems over time.

Sound like a question for @Rivaldo

1 Like

@Rivaldo, you blessed angel, please help me!!!

1 Like

Almost certainly in the machine itself. The drain hose isn’t sealed where it goes into the sewer, so if the problem was outside the machine you’d likely have water on your floor. Doesn’t really sound like a clog either. More like a float or sensor not behaving incorrectly and the pump is shutting off too soon. Could be a stuck check valve, maybe?

2 Likes

Thank you.

The error code indicates that “the washer has a drainage problem, or more specifically the washer detects that the drain cycle is taking too long”

Per Google, “the error code most likely means that the washer has a drain issue caused by a clogged pump, drain pump filter, or drain hose”

I guess I can remove the drain hose and test that for a clog, other than that it’s likely going to be somewhere in the machine itself.

1 Like

Yeah, if it’s not the drain hose, then if it were anything else on the way to your sewer, you’d have (hopefully) noticed a huge fucking problem somewhere else, like your shower backing up with filthy water or your toilets not flushing or something. So, sparing that, it’s overwhelmingly likely that it’s in the machine.

too stoned to contribute at the moment

gimme a few :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had a drain pump failure in a prior home, it had the exact same problem with not draining all the water out.

I think you can take the drain pump put pretty easily and just check the area for obvious clogs before replacing the pump.

2 Likes

i don’t know much about appliances, but my hunch is the pump, something integral to the washer

call an appliance repairman for your options

1 Like

lol years ago, I tried to take apart a washing machine to replace the solenoid maybe? doomed the poor machine. it worked afterwards, but the thing had this marked warble… dunno wtf exactly

1 Like

What brand washer do you have? If it is partially draining it possibly could be that the belt might be bad or loose on the pulleys, or your float isn’t getting the job done fast enough. But it depends on what unit this is. But to answer a question, unless you got something really crazy going on new washer should very likely alleviate all of this.

Current appliances are Samsung, just upgraded with latest model of same brand. $2k all in, w supplemental parts, install, haul away, and warranty.

Labor Day sale!
Thanks all for advice!

I have a floating shelf in my kitchen that is uneven, and I need to remove it from the wall and level out the bracket that secures it. The problem is, I can’t get the fucking thing out of the wall.

I can tell that there is a bracket installed on the wall, with two male pieces sticking out. The shelf is then fitted onto the two pieces sticking out. Standard. I can get my fingers back there just enough to feel that there is no extra opening on the female part of the shelf, where it fits onto the bracket. So it doesn’t seem that the shelf is placed onto the bracket and then secured/pushed downwards, or to the side - it just feels like the shelf is pushed securely onto the male pieces and that’s that.

So, I’ve used a hammer to hit the shelf upwards from below to try and free it from the bracket (and the pieces sticking out of the bracket). I’ve tried to pull the shelf off the bracket (towards me). I’ve used the crowbar-y side of the hammer to try and pull the shelf off the wall (the left side of the shelf is sticking out just far enough for my fingers/crowbar to get back there). No dice on any of these removal solutions.

Aside from burning my house down out of frustration, does anyone have advice ?

It is the bottom shelf in this photo:

sucks man. those shelf brackets are evil. i think you are going to have to move.

1 Like

They look really cool! But as-is, it’s non-functional.