Home improvement

Yeah, definitely slab unless you think you might want to move it or take it down some day.

1 Like

Downside to concrete is you can’t one day try to move it by wrapping a strap around it and gunning your 4x4, ripping off your bumper and slomgshotting the other end through a bedroom window, thus winning a cool $10K on America’s Funniest Home Videos

4 Likes

Just wanna ask how much cheaper is it to lay the concrete slab as of opposed to using some patio slabs and pier blocks for a wooden joist shed because concrete always seemed the more expensive option to me?

Also what is the shed going to be used for?

build it with your bare hands!!!

1 Like

Wait, that’s for the whole shed or for the floor? Either one seems very wrong.

I have little clue whether you’re suggesting it’s way too high or way too low. Guessing the number is too low, but maybe that’s just California pricing.

No one is going to your house to build you shit for $3.4k here.

Too low for the whole shed, too high for just the floor.

1 Like

I really haven’t done concrete but I did bid something and I think the price I got was about $9/SF including demo of existing concrete and stamping.

So what are the options? Grossly overpay or do it yourself? Is there any other option?

What was being stamped? That’s not very common.

Concrete itself was running about $100 - $120 per yard last time I bought any.

Going rate where I’m at has been 7sf for just flatwork. I was paying around 130 a yard a year ago.

1 Like

Honestly didn’t think that price was to much for having professionally done in this area as well this is a CDN$ price. When I first read the post I thought it was a DIY job but probably insurance thing.

The concrete was getting stamped. It was for a driveway and patio. I expect you think stamped concrete is awful. I think it’s ugly. But, that was the jerb. I turned it down though. The sales person who brought it to me had sold it too low or whatever, but there was no point in my being involved and I told the HO to go straight to a concrete contractor.

I’d go with a concrete slab. I’m assuming if you go with pt they just set some pt joists on concrete pier pads and then plywood.

1 Like

I’d 100% go with a slab with what your describing.

1 Like

It can look nice when it’s not trying to make the concrete look like something it isn’t. I’m very opposed to faking one material with another material.

3 Likes

I don’t have a lot of experience with stamped concrete but years ago when I was working for a contractor we stamped a driveway and put color into the concrete to make it look like cobblestone. Massive driveway into multi million dollar house that looked horrendous. We even sealed it which then made it look shiny. It was horrible and I cringed whenever driving by that house.

And it probably won’t last as long as correctly laid cobblestone.

A question for folks who build stuff in cold climates, and/or plumbing experts.

What is the standard practice for having a hose bib and/or utility sink in a detached, unfinished, and unheated building so that the water supply pipe(s) don’t freeze?

I’ve tried to Google this and not found much yet. Mostly talking about situations where the building in question is heated.

I see there are so-called “freeze-proof” faucets, but since they just move the valve inside where it’s warmer (assuming the building is heated), they wouldn’t be effective in this situation, right? Since the interior of the building will be more or less the same as the exterior temp?

Is the only answer heat tape or something similar, or is there some bit of plumbing wizardry that solves this?

Editing to add some context: I’m making plans for a detached, unfinished garage and would like to have an external hose bib and a utility sink inside if it’s not too much of a PITA to maintain.

No wizardry I’m afraid. You either heat the pipes to keep them from freezing or you drain them for the winter. Draining’s not that much of a hassle if you plan the lines right (and don’t forget to do it every year).

1 Like