Home improvement

Can you tell if it’s off the pulley? Mine wrapped around the drum and over a pulley/part that is the driver and another that is a tensioner. That was all hard to see, but I could see it a little and feel it. You’d have to see what it all looks like from a YT video or something first.

Mine was broken.

In the video he says he found the belt snapped. They may have messed up the filming or something.

eta: If you do this yourself and your dryer is anything like mine, watch out, the sheet metal can be sharp as hell. I cut myself (very minor cut).

1 Like

I think you’re right. The belt is not broken. 99.9% sure of that. Either it’s off the drive or the drive isn’t spinning or if there were something else I think there’d be a racket.

You should try to figure if the belt fell off for some other reason than just being loose (seems unlikely). Something bent or something obstructing the rotation of the drum.

1 Like

Look up that model and tensioner pulley diagram probably.

ETA: should go in one of those slots heh

1 Like

You are a bit tbh. Look at it from hs side: How often you think he gives a ballpark figure, then it ends up being more and Karen says “but you said it would only be $xxxasdfg!!1”. You’re taking up his time to nickel and dime him on something that you’re not going to find a big difference in price in from any of the competition anyway.

Belt seems loose, has it come off the motor pulley?

1 Like

The $60 seems reasonable imo. How much should this guy charge for dragging his ass down to your house and figuring out what is wrong with your dryer.

3 Likes

Did you fix it. From the lack of dust build up around those slots it looks like it fits in them and the tension holds it in place. Weird there’s no bolt or anything though I guess.

1 Like

youtube

1 Like

Maybe. Depending on how handy you are, just paying this guy his $60 is probably +EV. It would almost certainly cost me more that $60 worth of time to figure it out via youtube. But I really suck at this kind of thing, so I may be the outliar here.

1 Like

Yeah, having tradesmen you can trust is a good thing. But since you don’t, you gotta do it yourself or pick a stranger to trust.

So bite the bullet and either trust this guy or find another one you have a better feeling about.

1 Like

One person coming alone $60 is very reasonable for a truck roll. I subcontracted for one of the big solar companies and most trucks meant like 3 people and they figured $200 or $250 (don’t remember) for a truck roll. That’s your minimum charge. Otherwise, bring your dryer in to someone for an estimate. If people wanted to be really transparent in this process, I’d say $60 + $100/hr + parts with 30% markup or something like appliance repair.

Also, does look to me like that thing fits in the slots.

1 Like

This is so true. I got such a buzz from fixing my washing machine and printer. My bf may have mentioned I bring it up rather a lot :smile:

4 Likes

Good job. The seratonin boost from doing it yourself is often well worth the time and scraped knuckles.

The belt should have grooves on one side that fit onto the similarly grooved axle, held by the tension.

3 Likes

I’ve fixing my own shit for decades. Where do I find these joyous spritzes and serotonin boosts? All I have is bad memories.

6 Likes

Like all drugs you’ve built up a tolerance. Fixing minor stuff isn’t going to do shit for you.

1 Like

The joy is directly proportional to how far outside ypur comfort zone you are. You studs who know everything get no immediate joy, but that’s offset by the general background feeling of superiority you get to feel… and the knowledge that the rest of us feel inadequate around you.

3 Likes

setting up a new home office. added the lights, skim-coated and primed everything, painted the ceiling, ready for wall and trim paint now, and new floors.

12 Likes

Nice job Goofy! Our washing machine stopped working recently, so I did some Internet research before having anyone come out, even though I’m a wuss and not comfortable opening up and tinkering with appliances. The light in the washer would stay on after the cycle and then the controls wouldn’t respond unless you unplugged it and plugged it back in. Apparently it’s a known issue and the problem is likely a loose relay or a faulty control panel; internet messages boards and LG said you could do some type of hard reset but it didn’t work for me. I eventually had someone come out and order the part, but before they could replace it, it started working again.

1 Like

This is about van improvement, but what do you think of cross doweling for cabinetry?

Do you mean buying premade knockdown cabinets that are assembled with them? They’re ok, not great.

If you mean for building your own cabinets, there is almost certainly a better way to fasten whatever it is you’re trying to connect.

I mean doing it on your own. Cross doweling starts at about 4:45