Home improvement

Dunno, take a look in the tank. Maybe there’s a rusty screw in there or something.

@JohnnyTruant are you on a well? If it’s a municipal system it might be out of your control. It’s rare for something to happen that reduces your pressure, which is set right where the main comes in, if it’s set at all.

Do you have good pressure as soon as you turn on a faucet, but then it drops after a few seconds? That could indicate a blockage in the line somewhere.

Probably not. You might need the advanced forensic skills of Rivaldo here.

Where the main water line enters the home, is there a pressure reducing valve? What are the water lines made of, iron, copper, plastic?

3 Likes

PRVs can fail and restrict flow even further

Pressure reducing valve

1 Like

:heart: for response within 4 minutes!

4 Likes

Got a bud from a customer yesterday lol cool young family. Job took a couple hours, and they were smoking. I said that smells good, and If I didn’t have to work till 6.

Pics of the bowl and the tank. Do we think that nail on the right is causing the problem? Looks a little rusty to me

No, I’m totally stumped now. That bowl looks 100 years old and the tank is obviously brand new. The bowl also looks scratched all to hell.

The brown sediment in the bowl cleans out very easily, I believe the “scratches” are just the pattern it has settled in. I’ll post another picture after it gets cleaned tomorrow. As you can probably see the water in both the tank and bowl are clear. Might not be anything to worry about, it’s just gross to look at.

1 Like

yeah. as long as it’s generating a siphon and functional. probably some ammonia and other stuff isn’t completely removed from the bowl during the flush. none of that is ever in the tank, unless a buddy leaves an upper-decker.

mjiggy,

We have a relatively new toilet and only one so it gets plenty of use. It got yellow stains that I thought/think had something to do with hard water or something. They were pretty hard to clean off though. Toilet flushing got weaker and weaker until it would barely flush. I hadn’t noticed that the big hole in front of the hole that goes into the drain was pretty clogged up with yellow powder. This is the hole where most of the water from the tank goes into the bowl. Anyway, after I cleaned that out the toilet not only flushed well again, it hasn’t been making that stain.

1 Like

Any idea what this was? In any case you’re a genius and I’ll try cleaning that out as I am noticing a lot of sediment right around it.

Seemed like some kind of mineral deposit. It would get hard in the bowl, but in a big area like that hole it broke apart into a powder. Could have been hardened pee powder though for all I know.

Hardened pee powder :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

That’s exactly the experience I had a couple of years ago, except they charged $70. After they came, I think that they estimated the fix to be about $300 total. $70 would have gone towards that. Similar dryer brand new would be about $800. We just ate the $70 and got a new dryer, since the broken one was about 12 yrs old and we figured that something else might break.

It ended up working out great because we were able to find a super deal on a unused floor model with minor scratch on top.

1 Like

I replaced the belt on our dryer not too long ago. Not too hard.

Charging $65 minimum seems fine for this sort of thing. But they’ll probably still give you an exorbitant price.

I’m going to be in the bay area with nothing to do this coming Tuesday. If you have the belt there I’ll do it.

4 Likes

Sounds like the belt broke. Youtube is your friend in this case, or sites like repairclinic or appliancepartspros. You should have no trouble finding a video for your model. Driers have surprisingly few parts.

1 Like

Yeah, I just YT’d it.