Holiday traditions, gift ideas, hot takes, and airing of grievances

Dear JonnyA’s Daughter,

Times are tough and I had to take a second job at Wal-Mart (they call it K-Mart at the North Pole). You’ll see me a lot less, but don’t worry, I’ll still see you every time you publicly argue with anyone who says Presti is an elite GM.

Seasons Greetings,
Elf on the Shelf

1 Like

I’ll nominate some songs. These may be a bit obscure, but to me they perfectly capture the spirit of the season:

“Codependent Christmas” The Therapy Sisters
“Adult Child of Codependent Christmas” also The Therapy Sisters
“Rudy the Red-Nosed Wino” Beans and Bacon
“Writin’ Yer Name in the Snow” Evan Johns and the Gay Sportscasters

1 Like

An old hit for the Tornados. I have no idea what it has to do with Christmas, but Evan Johns put it on his Christmas album, so good enough for me:

Grunching. Those of us that can afford it look into donating food to a local food bank or adopting a family. (Buying gifts for that families kids).

I imagine things are going to be bad for a lot of people this winter. More than usual.

Just something that’s been on my mind. The GF and I have been able to keep our income this year. A lot of people haven’t.

6 Likes

Is there a go-to organization for adopting a family? Or just search locally?

My wife and I always struggle with gifts because, like many other adults, we kind of have stuff we need. And if we want something, we often just buy it. So gift giving ends up being more stressful than fun. That being said, this year’s true gift is the fact that I’m replacing all the recessed lighting bulbs in the kitchen/hallway area. That’s 13 fixtures altogether, no handyman. (I appreciate that this is a preposterous brag, but I’m incredibly unhandy and inclined to call a handyman at the drop of a hat.)

Grievance: there’s a huge discussion in the LC thread about Christmas gift-giving. WTF people - that’s what this one is for.

Read it too fast and thought you were changing the fixtures, but you are actually just changing 13 light bulbs? I think you are slacking and need to up your gift game. Your wife may think she has everything she needs or wants but of course that isn’t the case.

I pointed out this thread as soon as clovis started the derail and people still kept posting there.

boo-this-man

Listen, this was more involved than just changing lightbulbs. They were fixtures - fixtures!

Don’t try to take away my glory.

5 Likes

I have a bunch of these lights in the kitchen and basement. Haven’t had to change one yet, do you just pull the white trim piece off and take the bulb out or is it more complicated?

That’s close to it, assuming it’s an integrated set. The sets look like this:

You screw the top component (the part above the orange connector) into the existing light bulb socket. Then you connect that actual lighting fixture to that wiring (the two orange plugs) and put the fixture in.

Sick kitchenbrag, bro.

1 Like

Ok mine look very similar to the ones in this pic, I think I can handle that! I rarely use the ones in the kitchen so hopefully I never have to replace them.

That’s a honey-do project though, not an Xmas gift. You said:

Yeah, but like, this isn’t a unique situation; it just means you have to try harder. That’s why elite gifting is so fun though. Every year at Xmas I blow people away with gifts they weren’t expecting, and I do that by keeping a log of gift ideas for the people I buy for with notes about things they’ve said that could be hints. I am challenging you to do better.

Need something fun to get for my nephews, 4 and 6yo <$80 total.

My nieces (5 and 8) asked for Hexbugs. I got them this.

1 Like

We did this for nieces and nephews ages 8 and under a couple of years ago. Not sure if this is the same company we used because there are few that make personalized books.

2 Likes

It seems like everyone we know sends a holiday card and it feels like a waste just opening them up to throw away. So one tradition we do is tape up all the holiday cards we receive on the beams/doorways near our entrance/dining room area/living room. When we host for Christmas Day it really adds to the atmosphere.

Got a card today from an older second cousin. It would have been great if they sent it to one of our deplorable family members but I appreciate the personalized touch.

1 Like

Kelly Clarkson has an impressive number of holiday BANGERS.

1 Like