Holiday traditions, gift ideas, hot takes, and airing of grievances

Sous vide can be used to pasteurize raw eggs at home.

Have the elf write back that the next project is for her to make a little mailbox that you keep in the living room for exchanging notes.

2 Likes

Growing up I really disliked Christmas. I refused to so much as move my lips when we sang Christmas songs at school (unconstitutional!). I’m slightly more live and let live about it now.

And, despite all you saying you don’t believe in Jeebus, you are all Christians imo. (Except you fatboy and anyone else itt I missed, though I am shaking my head over the Christmas ham.)

Signed,

Someone who really isn’t a Christian

I happily admit to being a Catholic atheist. Well, not happily, but you get the idea.

1 Like

I still think my personal best Xmas was when my wife and I bailed and went to an all inclusive for a week. I dont even like bland resort vacations
but reading 5 books, exercising daily, and drinks on the beach for a week sure as hell beat driving all over Ontario in snow storms to exchange small talk with family. I really wish Xmas was more like Halloween - just make it for the kids to have fun for one day, leave the rest of it out.

3 Likes

You feel guilty about not believing?

2 Likes

Not really big on Christmas. Did the standard stuff as a kid, but nothing with a super big family (All siblings/parents of my parents were at least 250 miles away).

Now I just get gifts for my parents (where each parent basically tells me what to get the other) and niece and nephew (where again someone usually tells me what to get).

Wife and I gave up giving each other presents a long time ago.

New Years usually much more fun for me. I get together with roommates from college and play board games. (Obviously not happening this year)

1 Like

The best Christmas song is one you haven’t heard thousands of time: The Sea Captains “The Snowman and the Snow Angel” (Bandcamp - Song #2)

Crappy Youtube Audio:

I did as a child, certainly. But I mean it mostly that it was so formative that any thoughts on religion I have pretty much have to be specifically in opposition to it.

I’m missing this aspect as well. We’ve done some epic 2 or 3 day boardgame sessions over new years.

I’m Jew-ish, like the Olive Garden is Italian. I came out of a jewish vagina so technically I"m a jew whether I want to be or not.

But I do like Hanukkah and Latkes, and I do like ham and all other pork products.

Set my people free!..from not eating pork and shelfish.

1 Like

This is the only xmas song I’ll listen to on purpose:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing and start this thread Plz

Anyone have non turd/money stealing charities one could donate to? Preferably not political ones.

I’ve met one of the main people behind this organization at my local bar prior to covid. I’ve donated to various fundraising campaigns that they’ve had this year.

I don’t have an IG account so the embedded link isn’t working for that.

Ha, you’re welcome. I’ll need to stock up on beer/wine to be sufficiently self-indulgent. Holidays should provide the opportunity.

Speaking of Austen, there’s a new adaptation out on the 18th, Modern Persuasion. From the trailer, it probably won’t reach Love, Actually levels but it still made me cringe.

Long ago did the no presents thing with the family. The whole commercialization thing stinks. Unless you’re 13 or younger.

The tree farm we go to is always extremely crowded so we got a tree delivered from “Pork and Pine” today. An 8 foot Douglas Fir and two pulled pork sandwiches delivered by a guy on a bike dressed as Santa.

4 Likes

Congrats on being cast in the latest Netflix Christmas special!

A Baltimore lawyer becomes cynical about society in a pandemic, but when he’s forced to go to Mississippi for a client’s life and death emergency, he learns that country charm is heart-warming, and you can get BBQ pork delivered with your Christmas tree by a guy on a bike dressed as Santa. This the season!

Fade to black.

3 Likes