**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

Too late. I already saw it and I’m about to get on the 405 south!

1 Like

Am I a monster?

I love everything about Christmas but hate everything about presents.

The whole idea of presents as adults is so dumb. It always ends up with endless shopping to find some dumb thing the recipient doesn’t really want or could just buy themselves. Once you are like 30 you don’t need anything. The stress and shopping diminishes the joy of holidays.

I feel no love from friends and family buying a gift when they basically have to out of custom.

I say abolish all presents, except those that are impromptu and represent something deeply personal.

If the gift is just bought at the local store it is meaningless.

Down with presents!

Caveat: this doesn’t apply to kids obviously.

9 Likes

Bryce,

I don’t know what kind of help someone in Kansas could do for me right now, but we’re talking about a road trip to Kentucky and if we pass through Kansas I’ll ask you for some recommendations - stuff to see or eat.

Gift-giving is garbage. It’s like a 90% reduction in value if we just bought shit for ourselves.

That being said, I’m terrible at it. I think most people are terrible. But I know a few a people who are just really good at picking out thoughtful gifts. Yeah, they occasionally miss, but their hit rate is very good. I’m very jealous of them.

2 Likes

I think I took a bus that went through Kansas once about 25 years ago.

You’re a monster for not asking in this thread:

1 Like

Oops my bad. :grin:

Is Kansas worse than Nebraska?

Better bbq.

I thought it was completely stupid a long long time ago, the mentality of I’ll just buy the damn thing if I want something ffs. so in other words I neither get nor give anything and it’s great.

I’m practical though, I reckon it’s more for emotional types.

My family does a draw so we only buy a present for one person. I like to think that I’m giving that person something they really wanted (even if they could have bought it themselves). And I ask for stuff that I want but have neglected to buy. Mainly difficult books that I want to read but haven’t gotten around to because easier stuff is easier.

1 Like

Wow it’s almost like the forum is full of humbug introverts.*

*Me too.

3 Likes

Gift-giving with my wife’s family has devolved to passing cash and gift cards between everyone. It is atrocious and we both hate it, but no one else could think of Christmas without “gifts.” It’s not much better on my side of the family, either.

My wife and I at least stopped giving each other gifts a few years ago. Our travel experiences together are our gifts to each other.

2 Likes

Is it because they are the same distance from Denver, but Kansas is closer to Kansas City, Missouri?

I tried to find something cool to see in the Kansas and the Cimmaron National Grassland was it. Pickings were sparce. Some of these seem worth looking at though.

Was it this?

5 Likes

Yes.

Did you get a look at this Lawrence guy?

:) It’s possible I’ll have a dog with me.

My wife and I have gotten really close to another couple recently. We share similar views on the pandemic and only hang out outside on patios. It’s been such a breath of fresh air. We’ve had a somewhat hard time finding friends as close as we had in college once we moved to a new city, but seems like we finally did. I don’t really have a point in typing all this, but I figured it would help others in a similar situation.

It’s hard to make friends in your late 20s
/ early 30s. There are plenty of others that feel the same way. You are not alone.

10 Likes