**Official** Physicists are freaks and very weird dudes LC Thread

You’re a monster for not asking in this thread:

1 Like

Oops my bad. :grin:

Is Kansas worse than Nebraska?

Better bbq.

I thought it was completely stupid a long long time ago, the mentality of I’ll just buy the damn thing if I want something ffs. so in other words I neither get nor give anything and it’s great.

I’m practical though, I reckon it’s more for emotional types.

My family does a draw so we only buy a present for one person. I like to think that I’m giving that person something they really wanted (even if they could have bought it themselves). And I ask for stuff that I want but have neglected to buy. Mainly difficult books that I want to read but haven’t gotten around to because easier stuff is easier.

1 Like

Wow it’s almost like the forum is full of humbug introverts.*

*Me too.

3 Likes

Gift-giving with my wife’s family has devolved to passing cash and gift cards between everyone. It is atrocious and we both hate it, but no one else could think of Christmas without “gifts.” It’s not much better on my side of the family, either.

My wife and I at least stopped giving each other gifts a few years ago. Our travel experiences together are our gifts to each other.

2 Likes

Is it because they are the same distance from Denver, but Kansas is closer to Kansas City, Missouri?

I tried to find something cool to see in the Kansas and the Cimmaron National Grassland was it. Pickings were sparce. Some of these seem worth looking at though.

Was it this?

5 Likes

Yes.

Did you get a look at this Lawrence guy?

:) It’s possible I’ll have a dog with me.

My wife and I have gotten really close to another couple recently. We share similar views on the pandemic and only hang out outside on patios. It’s been such a breath of fresh air. We’ve had a somewhat hard time finding friends as close as we had in college once we moved to a new city, but seems like we finally did. I don’t really have a point in typing all this, but I figured it would help others in a similar situation.

It’s hard to make friends in your late 20s
/ early 30s. There are plenty of others that feel the same way. You are not alone.

10 Likes

+1 on gift giving being garbage if it’s not for kids. Except white elephant. Those are fun.

Just give gifts any time of the year imo you see something that a loved one might like. Means so much more.

A lot of families I know have switched to just contributing to a big pool for some local charity.

Or we should just pool our money and give it to the brokest person in the family under 30 or something.

Would I do better winning a golf cart from a vodka company? I’d like to say yes but it would just hinge on me being a better drunk golf cart driver than this lady. Which I almost certainly am but that doesn’t exactly give me the moral high ground.

2 Likes

Yea we do the same, once the family had like a bunch of Significant others and then a bunch of grandkids it became too much. I’d be fine with no gifts. Especially since thats one thing my wife took care of, even this year, but starting next year i’ll have to shop myself and I hate it.

Most people don’t realize that you can make your own male to male extension cord. Just cut two cords in half and twist the wires together. You should obviously wrap each of the two or three bundles of wires in electrical tape SEPERATELY, for safety. Just a helpful trick that BIG CORD doesn’t want you to know about.

3 Likes

90% sure that’s my uncle Mike - famous for trying to grab the cake-cutting knife from his sister and slicing his fingers to the bone - also running from one end of the house to the other and slamming himself against the door for hours on end.