Healthcare USA #1

HDHP?

My DD is $6,381. Single male. I must be on the Cadillac plan.

Nope, currently Aetna PPO. Donā€™t think we even have a HMO option.

That seems pretty cheap for West coast.

Anyway, GL with the surgery. You gonna be good to go back to olytarding after?

Another trip to my dentist this morning for a cosmetic touch up and work to soothe an aching tooth.

9:59 - Arrive and check in
10:00 - X-ray
10:05 - Seated in chair
10:10 - Doctor begins work
10:20 - Work is done
10:25 - Home

Cost: About $20 US.

2 Likes

Your insurance covers cosmetic dental work?

Upon review of the receipt, apparently so.

I wonder if there are externalities that can be explored regarding ~free cosmetic dental work.

Thanks.

Maybe, weā€™ll see how recovery goes. Right now Iā€™m more looking at the post-surgery recovery plan that is focused on getting back to normal and giving time for my sternum to heal. I actually am planning to mostly do cardio (short walks ā†’ longer walks ā†’ short jogs) and give running a chance since Iā€™ve never been very good at it.

I would like to be able to snatch bodyweight again, but that seems so far down the road I donā€™t want to focus on it.

US total spending per capita is more like $12k.

Almost a full-time minimum wage job!

What are they getting wrong?

Edit: Oh, ā€œchronic Lyme.ā€ Hahahaha.

Not surprisingly, hospitals and insurance companies are making a big joke out of compliance with the transparency in pricing act.

This chronic Lyme thing is fascinating. Itā€™s basically an entire subculture of people and quack doctors doing PICC lines for infusions (and more) to treat a chronic disease that doesnā€™t exist. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some malady these people are experiencing, but surely itā€™s something thatā€™s yet to be correctly diagnosed or perhaps discovered because they have zero markers for anything related to the presence of Lyme but still take long-term treatment for it.

This seems misleading. While the doctor said he wasnā€™t doing anything, just by looking at the injury he was doing something and most medical offices can charge for that. Should they? No. But itā€™s not uncommon, other than billing the wrong person.

Wow, what an unfortunate ā€œerrorā€

The stand-alone emergency room and ER doctor, who saw Keeling but referred him to another hospital, billed for his visit. But McLin soon learned she was unable to dispute some of the charges ā€” because her young childā€™s name was on one of the bills, not hers.

I also assume if her son actually saw a physician at the first ER that she would get billed for it.

Weā€™re not far away from them billing for the act of billing.

:vince1:

Ok as the ER doctor in the room, nothing is untoward here. I bill every patient I see, even if I tell them they donā€™t need anything or transfer them to a higher level of care. Evaluating a patient is work, and I expect to be paid for my work. Maybe the doctor actually said they wouldnā€™t charge for the visit, but itā€™d have to be quite the dumbass ER doc to say that. They still filed a note and level of service. I believe, but Iā€™m not 100% sure, if I donā€™t bill and just see someone on the side I donā€™t have medical malpractice insurance.

Thereā€™s other issues with what happened in that billing process, but charging for someone you transfer ainā€™t one of them. The actual primary error here was likely by the registration clerk, who put the patient as an individual and didnā€™t have their insurance somehow. Thatā€™s a relatively common fuckup.

2 Likes