Healthcare USA #1

Well it would have been from a bite 10 months ago. I have no symptoms other than an itchy left ankle and weirdly sore skin on the inside of my right kneecap that feels just like a knee scrape. Could it still be Lyme?

The internet is pretty ridiculous about Lyme

It sounds like the golden opportunity to at least get this part checked out was at your nearly $1K dermatologist visit.

Yeah I’ll schedule another $1k visit for his next available slot in July (I made the Feb appointment in October).

Maybe I should schedule an appointment with him every day for the rest of the year just to fuck with my insurance company for negotiating such a shitty deal.

Now that I hit my deductible so fast, I’m gonna go hog wild on my insurance company. I vow to be extremely unprofitable.

1 Like

First off, Lyme disease online is some of the dumbest medical talk online.

Second, my understanding is that you’re a California and Kansas kind of guy. It’s pretty hard to get Lyme in either of those places

This was in Missouri. A buddy of mine on the same camping trip came back with the Lyme bullseye thing and was treated with antibiotics for it. But he was in an area with more trees and pulled multiple ticks off himself.

I saw one tick on my arm but didn’t pull any off me. Tiny little fuckers though. Deer ticks suck. I was used to the bigger ones.

It’s not zero, but that’s still a lower risk area

I must have missed this. But the rule you’re referring to doesn’t mean that insurance companies don’t give a fuck about what they pay out on. First of all, there are accounting tricks they can use to fudge that 80/20 a bit. But even if they couldn’t the GTO strategy is to just pay as little as possible and then rebate. In that case, they guarantee the keep as much as possible. Rebate probably plays well also.

Im approaching being good with some truly awful things happening to the people responsible for this.

The rejection of van Terheyden’s claim was typical for Cigna, one of the country’s largest insurers. The company has built a system that allows its doctors to instantly reject a claim on medical grounds without opening the patient file, leaving people with unexpected bills, according to corporate documents and interviews with former Cigna officials. Over a period of two months last year, Cigna doctors denied over 300,000 requests for payments using this method, spending an average of 1.2 seconds on each case, the documents show.

3 Likes

Approaching? I’m there.

Are you? Define truly awful.

People responsible for a policy in which insured patients are auto-declined without even having their files opened? Not only don’t I care about those individuals but they are so negatively impacting this world I wouldn’t lose an ounce of sleep if they were Thanos snapped into dust. You can find someone else to engage in a morbid conversation about what awful things, specifically, they would be ok with.

1 Like

Not sure you’re “there” unless you’re willing to go full NBZ.

1 Like

Everyone I don’t like.

The context was

So we’re looking for things happening to people and not the people themselves.

Doctors are scammers. Add it to the pile of evidence.

1 Like

I am very happy with my family’s insurance. I don’t get the surprise bills I hear other people complain about. We do occasionally have to have doctors send extra paperwork to get prescriptions approved but it’s generally not too big of a hassle. They have never really batted an eye when it has come to medical stuff for my trans kid, by which even my kid’s doctors were surprised and impressed. We have Anthem BC in California.

The catch, of course, is that it costs $3K/mo.

1 Like

Given what medical care costs in the US, paying 36K/year to insure a family of four (?) against pretty much any medical thing that could possibly happen, seems like it’s a bit over priced, but not by that much.

The insurance is so expensive because the care is so expensive. And the care is expensive for myriad reasons.

I don’t really have a point here that anyone is unaware of. These are just some random musings.

fyp

I’m definitely not complaining, but I’m obviously aware that $36K a year for health insurance isn’t realistic for many people. I’m very lucky and grateful.