Great American hegemony - our definitions count, yours don't, wherever you are.

Point is you’re make my the exact same argument as them. It’s less obviously wrong when you make it but only slightly less actually wrong.

1 Like

Still no substantial point.

You’ve already seen others here saying it’s never had racist connotations here in the UK, and it’s still not enough for you, apparently?

What more do you want? A fucking visa to the UK so you can interrogate the whole population?

This is not a cultural issue. Ghetto blaster has no cultural meaning in UK. They just adopted a racist US word - supposedly ignorant of the racist meaning. It means the exact same thing that it means in the US.

A cultural difference would be if the same/similar word had different cultural origins/meanings in two places.

Simply put, if you adopt a racist word from another cultural and later learn that the word is racist, you should stop using it. It’s not that big of an ask.

9 Likes

I just went back to the start of the thread and it actually reads similarly to this until you started doubling and tripling and quadrupling down.

4 Likes

One man’s doubling down is another man’s defending himself from charges of being a racist.

lol

I seriously think many of you have some problem with taking people in good faith. Have you had lots of conversations like this with, you know, real life actual racists, and have been scarred by the experience? If so, that might explain it.

Serious question because trying to cast me as wirelessbro2 isn’t going to work and it’s not a great look for you to be attacking one of your own who’s a) less racist than most of you and b) more left wing too.

2 Likes

I thought my point was clear the whole time:
Something insulting to a class of people doesn’t become not offensive because those people aren’t local to you, or because you didn’t know it, or because a local to you subclass of that class don’t take offense.

To insist that something isn’t offensive here because “it’s not racist to me” is a well trodden deplorable deflection. You’re going to need a better reason.

3 Likes

lol no one called you a racist, they just pointed out you used a racist term, that you didn’t know was racist. Spending a couple dozen posts trying to defend the term is a terrible look, and forces people to rethink their view of you.

All you had to do was say “Oh I didn’t know that, I won’t use it anymore” and then everyone would have moved on. But you still won’t say that, because reasons.

7 Likes

Just so everyone is aware this is the comment that basically started it all and that jalfrezi claims is an accusation of him being a racist and painting him to be wirelessbro2 LOL

You are being extremely defensive because someone said you used a term that is seen as racist

Redacted for privacy.

Cite where I said the bolded.

I’ve never disputed the racism inherent in the phrase in the jolly ole US of A.

I realised after the reaction that it probably did have racist overtones in the US, but as I’m not in the US a) I didn’t know this until now and b) being told xyz is racist full stop end of argument doesn’t work in this case.

If the person who instigated this bullshit line had instead said “That’s commonly accepted as being racist in the US” instead of “That’s deemed racist everywhere” he might have got the response he was looking for.

Yeah, look I’m not trying to attack you personally, I’m just trying to convince you you’re wrong on this point by pointing out that you’re using the same arguments racists use to defend their use of racist language, symbols, etc . I don’t think your racist, just stubborn.

You cite Heritage not hate (as if that means any fucking damn thing in this country either LOL) and deplorable.

BUT NOT ATTACKING

So now you’re going with the defense that people were ignorant to the racism of the term in the 80’s, thus it’s clearly not racist now?

Get it straight there, is there no use of “ghetto” whatsoever in Britain, or is it used in a non-racist way? I think once you decide which way you want to go, you should at least try to stick to it for the rest of this thread.

I fixed that for you.

I also see we’re going with “ghetto” is a word that is not used in the UK, contrary to evidence up thread. Why do you keep lying and flailing wildly about in this argument just so that you can keep using a racist word? That seems… odd.

See? It’s all about being morally and culturally superior to Americans. Like every jalfrezi rant comes back to that.

The superior Brit, having backed himself into a corner and having had all his lines of defense toppled, takes his ball and goes home!

1 Like

this is what was said, how is that different than what you wanted said?

1 Like

Given the unpleasantness, I’m going to insist on citation or retraction from you. Mud sticks.

lol you didn’t just use this argument

What next, are you going to tell us how many black friends you have?

OK this is at least worth replying to.

“Just so everyone is aware” LOL

No dude, get it right at least.

The wirelessbro2 comparison came from this

Maybe you can understand how someone could get on the defensive if the attack dogs are accusing him of shit like this.