Great American hegemony - our definitions count, yours don't, wherever you are.

tl;dr but yes there are many examples of what you’ve cited, but ghetto blasters isn’t one of them.

This is true. There is a deep pool of research on this topic in anthropology, focussed largely on female circumcision. It is often very difficult to decide where the line is between cultural imperialism and something we can call universal human rights.

1 Like

Wait, whats this bollocks?

I mean I can’t even remember the last time I used the phrase “ghetto blaster” but your patronising tone isn’t appropriate or appreciated.

IIRC it was yesterday

2 Likes

If you’re getting off on nittery it would probably be today.

Obviously I meant prior to this topic. I’m guessing 1988 maybe.

I don’t think I’ve ever used the term “ghetto blaster”

edit: goddamn it

3 Likes

You’re just a baby compared with some of us, though - I’ve seen the pics, remember.

1 Like

LOOOOOL

Well yes.

The sheer hypocrisy of people here who were gleefully calling people “retards” on 22 until recently is breathtaking.

1 Like

So they generally stopped doing it after being presented with new information instead of digging their heels in and going on the offensive against posters patiently explaining the problematic usage.

6 Likes

Now this has been resolved thanks to some timely interventions by level-headed people, I’ve reviewed how it went and in future am going to try not to react so vigorously in the first instance to posters I don’t like who are clearly just trying to score ego points and who have no interest in understanding different cultures, or even that differences in meaning exist.

1 Like

I’d also like to hear these “obvious reasons.”

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve really learned a lot.

1 Like

So now we’ve finished with the UK ghetto blaster racism shit, it’s on with the ad hominems?

Seriously? I mean, have you read the posts since you came back to this thread or are you grunching?

Oh ok I get it now. In your country, not hate, it’s heritage.

1 Like

Now you’re just being offensive and not making any substantial point.

Yes and it’s kind of appalling that you’ve chosen this path to go down instead of just being like “oh shit my bad” which would have caused everyone to quickly forget about it and move on.

If that’s what was wanted, the instigator of this should have tried not insinuating someone is a racist.

How about “Um dude, that term has accepted connotations in the US now. I know you’re not a racist and probably made a slip from not having heard it for 30 years, but it’s best avoided” or something along those lines?