Grab Bag Walrus - Reveal Thread

In 5th place, “There Must Be An Angel” by Eurthymics, for 9 points

Classic 80s pop from a couple of North London adoptees and one of the better pop bands in a decade of dross, also featuring Mr Wonder’s not so wonderful harmonica which I could have done without.

Shiny and catchy and showcasing Lennox’s vocal strengths, it’s hard not to like this even if as a UK number one it’s overexposed. Having said that, one of the best thing about the 80s was that it encouraged people to explore music from previous eras.

1 Like

Yes, it’s great. Enjoyed the video aswell

1 Like

The next section are all songs I’d gladly hear again, unlike the previous lot lol.

1 Like

Dis be mine ldo

1 Like

This ranking surprises me.

I’m quite partial to high quality pop - it’s just that most of it isn’t.

3 Likes

Just missing out on a podium…

In 4th place, “Working And Shopping” by Tools You Can Trust, for 10 points

I vaguely remember this lot and like the amateurishness and use of unconventional instruments, but it’s in need of more pneumatic drill in place of the middle eight to make the podium. Lightweights!

Also, they aren’t The Fall.

2 Likes

First time pandering has somewhat paid off iirc. I 'aint no Eurythmics fan tbh.

This was mine. Back to my 10th place, it’s like coming home. :cry:

3 Likes

I despair at people’s collective lack of ambition - any of you could have picked a Fall song with a kazoo and got near the podium.

"Hey Pauwl, what did you do this afternoon? Pauwl up a Walrus, lol? "

I podiumed, motherfucker.

7 Likes

And so, to the podium three of you come…

Tense, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Of all the comments I didn’t expect needs more pneumatic drill

5 Likes

These three were very hard to sort out, as you can probably imagine from the variation in styles.

I think all three are very good in totally different ways, and rankings kept changing during today.

So you’re all winners!

No, not really.

2 Likes

In 3rd place, “No Mas” by Irreversible Entanglements, for 11 points

Obscure contemporary alternative jazz, this track hits the mark for the category and in general too. Even if you don’t like jazz you should give it a listen.

This started at the top of my rankings and its quality is still evident, but two others improved more with further listening.

1 Like

That’s me. One of the bands the old COVID-19 has robbed me of a concert by. They’re really good.

3 Likes

Oh man, losing to Chicago. Now I know how it felt to lose to Sting. I should have just re-submitted Didgeridoo.

Other than that I just couldn’t get backpipes out of my head. My other choice was this:

Jalfrezi where does this score?

4 Likes

In 2nd place, “Cherbourg” by Beirut, for 12 points

I was expecting not to like this, and I probably “shouldn’t” like a take on French chanson music from a bunch of Americans, but find its unusual but not excessive mix of instruments inexplicably moving and surprisingly cheese-free, if somewhat lightweight compared to the category winner (but then what isn’t?).

And as I stipulated “Make me feel something”, this gets the nod for second.

1 Like

Also @Jalfrezi where does this rank please?

I think it might take between 26-33 listens before you really start to appreciate it.

1 Like