Grab Bag Walrus - Reveal Thread

AC/DC was you? Nightwish was Nicholas?

1. The year Jalfrezi discovers AC/DC.

Against his will.

1 Like

lol

I remember some punks in my class at school laughing at a heavy metal kid the day Bon Scott died.

To my shame I went on a celebratory pub crawl the day Elvis died. And I love Elvis

Tough but fair.

I like Elvis too.

Danny Baker (bit of a knob sometimes though) first got noticed when the announcement came at a punk gig that Elvis had died, to a huge cheer from the audience, and he went on stage, took the mic and remonstrated with the crowd, winning them over apparently.

1 Like

I wasn’t familiar with this song. Having listened to it a few times now I feel like I really like about 50% of it.

That marks the end of tracks I couldn’t find much merit in at all.

The next section are tracks I liked somewhat, but with reservations.

2 Likes

Better than nodium imo

1 Like

In 8th place, “Part Of The Glory” by Balkan Beat Box, for 6 points

“One of the best bands to see IRL. If you enjoyed it, look for the live version where you get a saxophone duel on stage.”

I found this a frustrating track because it has elements I liked (the brass and intro) but also because I much preferred their witty I Trusted U next up on youtube, probably because it draws on different influences and made me laugh.

1 Like

Welp. Just ate a 1 here, so anyone who was hoping to gain ground on the (surely former at this point) leader, you got your wish.

1 Like

In 7th place, “Sea Of Joy” by Blind Faith, for 7 points

Pre-play: Oh God, not a rock super group from the era of ten minute drum solos. I bet this is going to have lots of tedious and unimpressive Clapton guitar and over the top vocals.

During play: Wait a minute, that guitar’s nicely under control and happily taking a back stage at times, and what’s more there’s a really very nice, subtle part for violins: this is music, not the expected showmanship, but for some reason I’ve never been able to get along with Winwood’s voice.

2 Likes

While I appreciate your effort to convert Jalfrezi to the metal side of life I still have to ask: What the hell were you thinking?

3 Likes

Reporting for duty, Sir. And to evoke the curse of course

4 Likes

In 6th place, “Hurry On Now” by Alice Russel, for 8 points

Another, though to my ears superior, pastiche of 60s/70s soul, this one trundles along convivially enough (if not altogether persuasively) after a really strong intro which promises much more.

The band swings, but I just wish the song made more of the vocals melting beautifully into strings that see the track out. A great intro and closing section let down somewhat by the middle section.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed this Balkan Beat Box track

1 Like

Did you listen to I Trusted U?

Dis me. I’ll take a Pauwl in this category.

1 Like

The Pauwl zone

2 Likes

Fwiw I really like this Alice Russell track. No shame in Pauwling.

4 Likes