Grab Bag Walrus - Reveal Thread

In first place, narrowly edging out Freebird before Freebird, scoring 10 on the suzzer likability scale and 7 on category fit:

Your submission: Suzanne and I - Anna Calvi

Link to submission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kzIuIhIC1c

Much like the Matty Groves song - the opening guitar notes just grab me. I’m a huge sucker for a gothic doom-purporting bass line. And then you throw on a female lead singer ethereally belting out across the transcendental plane? Yeah that hits all the suzzer buttons.

This is like the best song Siouxsie and the Banshees and 4 Non Blondes wish they ever made. Florence and the Machine tip their cap.

I like where it goes through a bunch of different contortions as well - including the heavenly pause thing at 2:09 which I’m sure, like the previous song, is what the poster was thinking of as the new element. Technically it’s kind of a bridge to me. But whatever, you won.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Was that you? Nice work!

2 Likes

That was a lot more fun than I expected. Thanks everyone who submitted!

I may do a full walrus some day. I’ve got plenty of tramadol left!

4 Likes

I highly suggest you consult with a physician prior to making any decisions on the matter

2 Likes

Done!

I shoulda just submitted a random symphonic metal song that has a ending change

This reveal was Aces. CanadaMatt returning to form, eyebooger’s mojo regained, ‘to pauwl’ no longer a legit verb, substance abuse…and even some interesting new songs to listen to.

Top stuff.

4 Likes

Anyone figure out who was second?

Pyat or Jalfrezi imo. As always unpossible to know without they’re confirmation.

I thought everyone figured pyat was Captain Beefheart?

I call jalfrezi for Captain Beefart and Fairport for pyatnitski.

2 Likes

They’re both crazy lags so both songs are comfortably in eithers’ range, but I reckon you"re probably right. Lolflipaments.

1 Like

I’ve already done the whole ‘submit Captain Beefheart to come last’ thing, so this time I dug out some quality folk rock. I think this was the song I have the most affection for out of all my submissions so am very pleased to see it do well. If I didn’t live in a small apartment with a wife and child I would love to jump about air fiddling to it in my pants. (Which is not a euphemism, by the way!)

6 Likes

Awesome song! Thanks for making me aware of it.

Have you ever heard anything to the effect that these guys influenced Lynyrd Skynyrd? I mean the songs are soooo similar.

Not read anything, but I’m not a big one for reading about music so that doesn’t prove much. That version is pretty obscure and the album version is from a different line up, it’s more overtly folk-y and slower but it has the same tune and structure and I think the album was fairly popular at the time (1969, it’s called Liege and Lief), so maybe. Perhaps ridiculously I don’t really know Freebird, not entirely certain I’ve ever heard it.

Allow me to introduce you to the majesty that is Freebird.

Tell me this isn’t the same song (once it switches into jam mode).

1 Like

Goddamit I just realized the name of the song is Matty Groves and the band is Fairport Convention lol.

1 Like

Ok my one friend who’s still up, who grew up with the same classic rock background as me, is telling me he doesn’t hear Freebird at all. So maybe I’m just crazy.

Ok, I just put on Freebird at ‘8:30am whilst my wife is still asleep’ volume. First up I have heard it before and recognised it immediately, I guess it is one of those songs that’s just around. I think I can hear what you mean with the start stop bits and the guitar doing a lot of hitting almost the same note like the fiddle does. I’d say they’re both somewhat common jam moves, though, so no reason to think particular influence. I’d hope they’d have listened to Fairport, though. Why wouldn’t you have?!