Grab Bag Walrus - Reveal Thread

This was me. I am shocked people outside of Aus have heard of Superjesus. I don’t really hear the “Like a Prayer” reference, but totes fair that you found this middling.

In to miss podium coming up

Alright, who wants the good stuff?

2 Likes

Yes, please. :slight_smile:

edit: please don’t move me further down for posting again.

4 Likes

In 6th place, with 8 points:

Everybody Come Down by The Delgados

Yeah alright, you could say this was released in 2007, but I refuse to believe this wasn’t originally composed in the 90’s. Its a fun, happy little song. It doesn’t rock per-se, but its unoffensive and I enjoyed bopping along to it. Guitar is simplistic but does its job.

And yes, I know in context this is anything but a happy song, but they do a good job making you believe it is.

2 Likes

And that wraps up our trip through the 90s.

Lets get to the stuff I really enjoyed.

All of the top 5 are great and I have added songs from all 5 to my rotation going forward, so well played all.

2 Likes

In 5th place, scoring 9:

Ready for the Magic - by Honeyblood

This is great. Love the energy and the upbeat style. I am not the biggest fan of the intro, which knocks this down a place or two, but other than that, this song is a lot of fun and I really enjoyed listening to it.

This was my other choice.

2 Likes

Hey we are up to the bubble girl

In 4th place - Scoring 10

Control by Poe

I absolutely love the vocals in this song. I’m a huge fan of Halestorm and Lzzy Hale and I get very similar vibes here. The band is fine in this instance but I wasn’t blown away by the instrumentals. This song is 100% carried by the vocals. That being said, it was great and I really enjoyed it and will be listening to more Poe going forward.

3 Likes

Alright, podium time.

In 3rd Place - Scoring 11

The Lion The Beast The Beat - by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

First thing’s first, I love this video. I didn’t factor that into my ranking, but stadium rock shows are amazing to me, and I love live concert footage, so this was great.

This is one of the rare instances where the long ass intro section really holds my interest. The meat of this thing doesn’t kick in until 1:50 and I didn’t care. This is a great combination of really good instrumentals and great vocals. Grace has got an amazing voice. After listening to some of their other stuff, this is actually on the lower end of her catalog for me, but damn, some of the notes she carries here are incredible. Great choice.

3 Likes

By the way, thats my Eyebooger guess.

Top 2!!!

1 Like

So I thought Nich might be my top 2, along with LouisCypher.

Lets see if I’m right.

In 2nd place - Scoring 12

Unleashed by Epica

Oh hi there Simone Simons, have you come to rock my socks off?

This song will fall more into the Instrumentals > vocals category (with no shade thrown at Simone) but I really love the work of the band in this song, and holy shit you’re gonna throw vikingish chant rock at me almost 4 minutes into the song? Sure, bring it on.

Well that one is clearly mine

My favorite band, tho I never know what song to submit to others; glad you liked this one.

It’s from 1994, for the record. I think a remaster was released in 2020.

This is the second time I have submitted this to a walrus, last time it won the category :)

2 Likes

Thats what I was thinking, which means if my suspicious are correct, first place will go to LouisCypher

Scoring 13 points, What you do to Me by Straight Line Stitch

Whats better than Sevendust, one of my all time favorite bands?

How about a gender swapped Sevendust?

Fuck me, this is great. I have a real soft spot for black people that can crush metal, and Alexis Brown comes in and murders this song dead. I must have listened to this 15 -20 times since we got the lists.

Straight Line Stitch will be a regular in my rotation going forward.

2 Likes

Grunching zomg reveal. Yesss!!

1 Like

So what did we learn today? Chick rock, especially chick metal is awesome.

But most importantly, we have completed a reveal without me nodiuming.

I assume this will now turn my fortunes and I expect a first place in the following three categories.

Thanks for everyone who sweated. Curious to see who submitted what.

4 Likes

Yeah, this is great stuff. I will be playing more of them going forward. Any other songs that are clear suggestions?