GOP insanity containment thread 3: more human than strom thurman

I mean, yes, absolutely. But unlike COVID it will actually kill most of the antivax people right?

Totally normal to hope for kids to die from a disease.

1 Like

bUt ThEiR pArEnTs ArE iDiOtS

Scumbag

Not even close. Young kids and the elderly are at risk and even they have a low mortality rate in developed countries.

1 Like

Well it’s not so much that it will kill many people but having a reservoir of it around in a population full of mostly vaccinated people gives it a much better chance of evolving into some extra-scary version.

Its 100% going to make a comeback and I dont think it will be the only one. Antivaccers make up an increasing percentage of the population, and something like Measels requires 95% buy in through vaccine to keep it dormant.

We’re gonna see Measels, chicken pox, and maybe even shit like smallpox and polio making a comeback.

Measels isnt the scariest, but some of the bigger more debilitating ones coming back is fightening

Vaccines will come back in style fairly quickly if polio comes back.

Ben Franklin was fighting anti-vaccine idiots almost 300 years ago. The battle isn’t going to end anytime soon.

4 Likes

He never forgave himself for not getting his son done in time. Historians still debate the topic, I think the assumption is that his wife was reluctant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/08/14/ben-franklin-smallpox-son-vaccine/

He said the boy was weak from being sick with another illness and Franklin judged in that situation an innoculation was too dangerous (and that was a real concern with the techniques they had at the time). He may have been right, but he did regret it. This is from the Isaacson biography, which doesn’t mention a disagreement with his brother or his wife but I think Franklin would have gotten his way. He usually did, in family (and other) matters.

Edit: Ofc Isaacson has got things wrong before.

https://twitter.com/curiouswavefn/status/1760519541497717107?t=C0OVklahYm8k25vxwldGNg&s=19

If polio comes back we’ll still have millions of people claiming that the vaccines are causing the polio. I don’t particularly want to be cynical about it, but I think it’s way more likely that the future of vaccine preventable diseases will look like the recent past and future of climate change - the science is clear, there is an obvious and necessary path in the public interest, the ignorant will use their political power to block that path, and we will have a new and riskier set of facts of life to deal with.

It really sucks, but just like we (IMO) should have spent the last 30 years getting ready for an inevitably hotter planet instead of trying to negotiate with climate change deniers, we similarly should not start down a path of trying to spend the next 30 years getting anti vaxxers to accept reality. They just won’t. We should spend that energy a) with massive educational campaigns to try to prevent more people from becoming anti vaxx (NOT trying to persuade the anti vaxxers); and b) sinking massive resources into how to mitigate risk in a world where anti vaxxers exist. I am 99% certain we will not do this, I think people are too prone to just moralizing and we’ll spend the next 20-30 years arguing on social media with anti vaxxers while cutting budgets for public health because Taxes Are Bad.

2 Likes

If we don’t stop climate change there is no mitigation.

We will need a LOT of expensive mitigation IF we stop global warming at 2 degrees. Insane amounts more at 2.5.

Both of those scenarios require rapid and widespread action on climate change and almost total reductions in carbon.

The do nothing or go too slow scenarios can not be mitigated. Society does not continue in a recognisable form at 4 degrees or 6 degrees or 8 degrees

And these all assume we dodge the runaway tipping points, which is not to be assumed.

How’s that going?

It doesn’t matter.

It’s the only game in town.

To be clear, I don’t disagree with any of his. I am merely suggesting that the payoff for arguing with anti vaxxers will fail to yield gains on vaccine preventable diseases in exactly the same way that arguing with climate change deniers failed to yield gains on climate change. This statement is not as cynical as it sounds on it’s surface - I think humanity can and will undertake successful efforts to improve / reduce the risk of climate change and the spread of vaccine preventable diseases. I think the progress that will arise from arguing with climate change deniers and anti vaxxers is about zero.

1 Like

I think I understand your point.

To play back. I think you are saying that we won’t be able to reduce carbon to address climate change so we should focus on mitigation.

My point in response is that mitigation doesn’t work if we don’t actually stop producing carbon.

On a more positive note. Many countries are moving rapidly to low carbon economies, not fast enough, but accelerating.

I’m actually more hopeful than that - I think that carbon reduction is very achievable, I even think it probably will be acheived to some extent. My only point (to the extent that I have a valid point) is that gains/improvement will be made by people investing resources (time, capital, etc.) into having hard working, intellectually curious, skilled and trained individuals apply themselves to solving the problem. My intuition is that practically no progress has been made, or will ever be made, fighting intellectual trench warfare with climate change deniers that have absolutely no intention of even considering that they are wrong. In fact, I think this attempt to win hearts and minds was actually a net negative over the past 30 years because it positioned climate change as a debate between scientists and deniers, instead of positioning climate change as a problem where scientists help make your life better and deniers make your life worse.

The same structural patterns are forming in the vaccine space. The debate with anti vaxxers frames vaccine preventable disease as something that should be debated as a political argument between science and troglodytes. In reality, vaccine preventable disease is also a problem where scientists help make your life better and deniers make your life worse. If we accept that the troglodytes get to decide that we will have measles and polio again, then exactly zero time should be spent trying to change their minds. Our reason evaporates on their pyschology. All the work needs to go into actually working on the problem itself, not working on the infertile fields of the minds of the ignorant.

3 Likes

J6 pinball machine:

https://x.com/daveweigel/status/1760679559111070107?s=20

The reason Tulsi left the Democratic Party is because she was always a Republican

5 Likes

she found out that all the GOP stooges were getting kickbacks from russia while she was doing it for free

11 Likes