GOP insanity containment thread 3: more human than strom thurman

There’s a really interesting author who focuses on this

Katharine Hayhoe. Worth a follow on LinkedIn especially.

She calls herself a climate communicator.

Profile on her here

With an extract that covers her key thesis below.

" At its root, she notes, the climate-change divide isn’t a disagreement about facts. “In a study of fifty-six countries, researchers found people’s opinions on climate change to be most strongly correlated not with education and knowledge, but rather with ‘values, ideologies, worldviews and political orientation,’ ” she writes. One salient problem is an aspect of human behavior that researchers have termed “solution aversion.” Solving the climate crisis will require ending our reliance on fossil fuels, which people believe would involve major sacrifice. “If there’s a problem and we’re not going to fix it, then that makes us bad people,” Hayhoe said. “No one wants to be a bad person.” So instead people are happy to seize on excuses not to take action. Most are what she calls “science-y sounding objections, and, in the U.S., religious-y sounding objections.” Hayhoe often hears that the Earth has always heated and cooled according to its own intrinsic cycle, or that God, not humanity, controls the fate of the planet. These objections can then harden into aspects of our political identity.

“We often assume that the tribes that form around climate change can be sorted into two categories: them and us. In reality though, it’s a lot more complicated than that,” she writes. She cited a study that shows seventy-two per cent of American adults agree that the weather is changing. She breaks out categories—originally defined by her colleague Anthony Leiserowitz, at the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication, and other researchers—of attitudes toward global warming: alarmed, concerned, cautious, disengaged, and doubtful. Only the remaining eight per cent of Americans fall into the final category, dismissive. Hayhoe eschews the term “climate denier,” saying that she has “seen it applied all too often to shut down discussion rather than encourage it.” Nevertheless, she doesn’t spend much time engaging dismissives. “Once in a while, maybe one time out of one thousand, there’s a miracle,” she told me. But research has shown her that dismissives are nearly impossible to influence. They are also few enough that it should be possible to build political will around fighting climate change by focussing on others. The doubtful, unlike dismissives, can be swayed."

2 Likes

Make no payment for 30 days!

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1760774045333700882?t=7_GMBEUmf0graO6cyz6o7g&s=19

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/robertjdenault/status/1760764173741326425

I believe this is Jack Pobowhatever and Bannon off to the left. Just joking HAR HAR.

If Trump loses does he run again in 2028? The GOP is now married to his voters who only come out for him (see mid-terms).

Obviously

Kamala vs. Trump 2028. It will be wild!

Putting that in ads won’t work. People are not naturally scared of declarations like this. People are scared of things that are hidden from them, not things that are said confidently in public.

1 Like

This bullshit is going to be very difficult to sift through because oral polio vaccine can (extremely rarely) actually cause polio and subsequent paralysis. Most everyone here is getting the injection which doesn’t cause it, but I’m sure that detail will get lost somewhere in the storm of bullshit.

It already does. Alex Jones constantly harps on about how the Polio vaccine causes Polio. And his audience is unfortunately still quite large.

I would be happy if there were a way to eliminate the genes of Alex Jones listeners from the gene pool.

1 Like

30 seconds of video and he didnt even glance at the road once

https://twitter.com/Universe__Lover/status/1760885376837886264

2 Likes

WTF

He’s not even doing side glances at the road while gunning it. Instant legend in the middle aged guy talks to the camera while in the car genre.

I’m almost feel like it’s faked because at least some part of a human’s lizard brain has to be tempted to look at the road ahead at some point.

1 Like

It’s Minnesota. That’s standard driving there.

2 Likes

What if it is full of drugs?

The sound of the car acceleration doesn’t seem to match up with the background. Those are aggressive manual shifting of gears. I think it’s fake. Trust me, I’ve seen some pixels before

5 Likes

Yeah some twitter replies think it’s fake. Has to be unless he’s getting towed or has full auto drive. Probably something he recorded in a stopped car and they added effects to make it look like driving.

He’s clearly getting towed

4 Likes

I think it’s a shopped background and noise. The steering wheel is rebounding as if the car is stopped.