GOP Insanity Containment: Beets, Gazpacho, and Lube

I honestly can’t recall having to say it every day. Maybe here and there for reasons unremembered. I’m pretty certain though that I’ve never used the word “indivisible” in any other context.

I said it from Day 1 of Kindergarten til the last day of Senior year. No one took it seriously. It was basically a chance for the teacher to transition to starting the school day.

1 Like

I have vague memories of the pledge, but not at what grade level, or how frequently, or how seriously it was taken.

I have clearer memories of Swish in elementary school. Is that a thing other kids had to do or was it some weird, local thing that is going to seem like something out of a southern gothic novel to the rest of you?

He’s a low rent JD Vance, absolutely pathetic.

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1406589824874827782?s=21

Ummm… what?

2 Likes

Also this is pretty insane

I grew up in a microsm of Bobby Knight basketball in the upper midwest with a coach just like him. We played lightning.

My mom taught first grade and swish was a thing in her primary school. Was not in mine tho.

Rubio can go fuck himself. My father died when I was an infant. I’m the youngest of 6. My mom raised us by herself. Between my siblings and me, 5 have college degrees, the one that doesn’t is in the military. One brother is a doctor, one sister is a nurse, and one sister is a lawyer.

But this clown thinks my family has major social problems. Again, he can go fuck himself.

38 Likes

fuck that. they wear weird robes and pointy hats. if they want to act out some power play, they are making themselves look even worse, and inviting the public to start talking about taking away the religious tax exemption. overton window slides both ways.

You know, swish. You put it in your mouth, then when it’s over you spit in a cup. Totally normal thing to do with your entire class when you’re like 8 years old.

I wanna say we only did the pledge in elementary school. I don’t think I had any feelings on it other than like “So we’re pretty much saying we like America, I suppose that’s a nice thing”. At that age I think most kids would assume that every school in every country does their own version of it, finding out years later that we’re the only fucking weirdos who do was a little eye-opening.

2 Likes

Conservatism in a nutshell.

Insist that something that is clearly itself an outcome is the cause of all problems thus making the problem only solvable by those people wink, wink just being better.

2 Likes

When we did the pledge in elementary school (I’m guessing we did it in middle school, too, but I don’t remember), I didn’t think anything of it. It was just something you did to start the day. I do remember the Jehovah’s Witness kids were allowed to stay seated and not recite it. And again, at that age, nobody thought anything of it. It was just, “Oh, it’s against their religion. Ok.” Nobody made fun of them or anything - it was just understood that they weren’t going to stand and nobody cared.

2 Likes

Not doing it as a kid - but thinking about it as an adult it was creepy as fuck.

As a kid you just do whatever they tell you. It was just another annoying ritual - like washing your hands before lunch. I don’t think it sunk in or changed my feelings about USA #97.

We had a Jehovah’s Witness who had to leave the room every morning when we did it. Must have been awful for that kid - even though in retrospect his fucked up cult got that one right.

He also couldn’t do secret Santa, or Valentine’s cards, etc. When he told us he doesn’t get Christmas or birthday presents - if I knew one thing as a little kid it’s that I didn’t want to be a Jehovah’s Witness.

4 Likes

WAT

Click here for all the sordid details of SWISH

It was a fluoride rinse, administered through the schools. I think it was done monthly, or maybe less frequently. Either way, it wasn’t mandatory.

The school nurse and maybe somebody from the health department or something would come in to the classes with a tray full of little dixie cups that had a splash of rinse in them. You’d swirl it around your mouth for a bit while they timed you, emphasizing the whole time how horribly bad it would be if you swallowed any. Then you’d spit it back out in the cup.

Ohhhh you’re a fluoride baby. That explains a lot.

1 Like