GOP Insanity Containment 2: This is the Place. This is the Time, Cowboy.

I think people should be required to put in 100 miles of city biking before complaining about how bikers break the rules. When you nearly get killed on a semi-regular basis due to drivers not giving a shit, it’s hard to have the same respect and deference for red lights and stop signs when there’s no cross traffic at all. And there are many times breaking the rules is a simple act of safety and self preservation, to avoid dangerous and difficult maneuvers such as turning left off of a major street.

Anyways, in my experience, it’s the right turn on green I’m more worried about than right turn on red. I don’t see how right turn on red particularly conflicts with bikes. But right turn on green is terrifying, since cars aren’t looking back over their right shoulder.

9 Likes

It’s supposed to be illegal for a bike to pass a car turning right on the right. They are supposed to go to the left of them. It’s obviously tricky and scary to do so, but many ignore safety rules.

While driving in Spain I realized cyclists rule the road and you just have to defer to them.

I stopped riding and am a little afraid to go out anymore. Otoh, between cars and scooters, I still feel like a target on foot.

I would go quite a bit further than this and simply ban drivers from ever discussing transportation issues in any circumstance. We have literally contorted the very built environment of our world to cater to your every need and each and every one of you can’t stop talking about how awful and inconvenient it is. The privilege of driving should be contingent on never mentioning anything about cars, parking or traffic ever again. Still getting the better of the deal imo.

6 Likes

It’s not the cyclists travelling with the cars turning right that are being hurt, it’s the cyclists crossing in front of them that drivers invariably don’t see in their rush to turn.

Walking is timeless and driving is state of the art. Everyone else should stfu and get off the f’ing roads or move to Holland.

3 Likes

if that’s what is happening, then it certainly is also just as dangerous for pedestrians and should be outlawed… but i have a suspicion that’s not what is happening, but it’s cyclists attempting to run the red and the car not seeing them and turning across the bike lane.

We’re just pissing in the wind here with our anecdotes and biases, but to push back on this: the vibe of a bike running a red isn’t “I’m going to pass all these cars on the right at full speed and charge into this light.”

Normally the bike approaches the light and looks both ways once they’ve passed the waiting traffic. Which bikes generally have an outright ability to do legally anyways: you pass all traffic on the right and queue in front of the waiting cars. Same thing here. Whether you run the red light afterwards is immaterial.

1 Like

They teach people how to drive in Europe?

It’s exactly what happening. They group pedestrians and cyclists in the article in the tweet that started this discussion, the first line in the headline that was half cut off is “With pedestrian and…”.

How the fuck am I supposed to know if a car is turning right when I’m on a bike? (Difficulty: Boston where it’s mostly Uber drivers who <50% use their signals)

This is what I was talking about. Unless they’re getting off their bike and walking it across, then it’s on them. They are not supposed to be cycling across crosswalks.

We’re almost halfway through this progression itt

11 Likes

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1729330742675542139?t=-MzHWxBDzvrO68lnmlAfsg&s=19

Speaking of right on red…

https://x.com/PoliticsAndEd/status/1728817411569401930?s=20

This is in Rancho Bernardo, in San Diego. I know the intersection and if there’s any place to ban right on red, it’s this intersection. The cross street is angled away so not only is this to protect pedestrians, it’s also to protect the person turning right because it is nearly impossible to see any cars coming down the street under the overpass because it’s angled back behind the driver’s left shoulder.

3 Likes

God fucking damn it

1 Like

lol law every fucking time

1 Like

supposedly my 2023 honda will brake for me if i am going to hit a pedestrian/cyclist. i should not be going fast enough turning right for it to not work.

This seems like a reasonable offer

The families’ lawyers offered Jones two options: either liquidate his estate and give the proceeds to creditors, or pay them at least $8.5 million a year for 10 years — plus 50% of any income over $9 million per year.