GOP Insanity Containment 2: This is the Place. This is the Time, Cowboy.

lunatics of tiktok accidentally proves that a q-anon movie is being astroturfed

3 Likes

lol buying tickets to a movie you’re not attending to own the libs

1 Like

It’s almost certainly some Super PAC or billionaire doing it. I doubt it’s a bunch of individuals. Seems similar to how they will buy up the books of politicians as back-door campaign donations.

The scale is incredible. $50M just to launder PAC money. Nixon’s CRP org had about a half a million to play with?

This is standard operating procedure with books as well. I wonder if this film is actually just a big money laundering operation.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t get it, at all, what these people are doing with these sorts of things like this movie. What is the point here? Do they really think like there’s a bunch of white kids being “trafficked” by “MAPs” here in america? I mean they must right? Do they think they’re dunking on the libs by giving this movie 10/10 and selling out empty theaters? So weird.

1 Like

It gets the movie talked about - FoxNews will cover it more as a popular movie. You might even get some mainstream places to cover the hit Q-Anon movie. It’s a way to normalize their stupid talking points.

I do wonder if this make theatres happy or upset. On the one hand the movie is sold out, but how much of a theatre’s revenue comes from tickets vs. overpriced concessions?

2 Likes

It reminds me of a cargo cult. They know the libs love documentaries exposing bad things and that those documentaries selling a lot of tickets means they’re important but they don’t understand why.

2 Likes

Chapo just had an episode about this movie and it sounds dreadful. Obviously it has an 8.4 on IMDB and the user reviews are just endless 10/10s LOL

1 Like

Probably depends on opportunity cost. If the alternative is a different movie that generates a 3/4 full theater, the concessions probably make up for the ticket sales. But, if it’s a random Tuesday and only a handful of people would show up for the other film, just pocket the ticket money and keep it going.

[Also, I guess there’s some risk that you bring on extra employees b/c you see the advanced sales and worry about not having enough staff, but I don’t think employee schedules are that variable]

1 Like

I wonder what would happen if theatres realized the scam and started overselling tickets. You run some risk if people actually show up, but could likely just milk some extra $ from the scammers.

Movie theater revenue for the theater owner comes almost entirely from concession sales.

4 Likes

This. Although an independent distributor could make a different deal to get their movie in more theaters. They could literally be paying theaters to feature it.

That’s true too, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case with the god’s children are not for sale movie.

1 Like

There are limits on what PACs can spend donor money on, but one loophole is they can buy gobs of books or movie tickets such that some of the proceeds go to whomever you want to ship money to. Plus the add-on value that far-right derpers can believe they really are a silent majority and there’s really a whole bunch of MAGA Q-anon guys out there.

So, these patriots decided to go to the movies instead of going to the local fireworks show on the birthday of the nation. Seems totally believable.

Yes, they do. The same way the Nazis convinced everyone the laughable yarn that Jews caused Germany to lose WWI. It’s a nonsense fairy tale that could have real world consequences some day.

A box office SMASH