GOP Insanity Containment 2: This is the Place. This is the Time, Cowboy.

No, it isn’t.

5 Likes

What? Who said that?

Please feel free to expand on this:

How do you decide how much quantifying you need?

I mean, I wasn’t asking for a specific amount, just a ballpark.

This is just public policy 101: limited resources means calls have to be made based on estimates of utility. Not sure that warrants all-caps tirades.

There’s no point trying to constrain the wild animal passions of an actuary. If I feel like ALL CAPS then thats what’s gonna happen. If you can’t handle me at my ALL CAPS then you don’t deserve me at my level headed best, IMO.

9 Likes

https://twitter.com/noahshachtman/status/1636392643306348545?s=46&t=RKQIqRrKzVps835SSEmebA

4 Likes

“burial garden” sounds so much worse than “cemetery.”

From reading about it seems like it would just be an area inside the cemetery but spruced up

Reverse eugenics. Thought we were getting Gattica when it was Idiocracy all along.

I think the issue is the word “reparations” is incredibly open ended and no one knows what it means. Using public funds to undue the damage and level the playing field for people set back by years of oppression. Sure. But people just hear the word and think it means “take money from me and give it to black people like Oprah.”

The biggest issues are

(1) non-black people today don’t think they personally did anything to warrant millions in repayment, and

(2) non-black people today don’t think black people alive today suffered as a result of slavery

#2 is obviously false, but is still a tough sell politically to the groups paying the bill

#1 has some legs because it is technically true

This isn’t a specific argument against reparations, it’s a general argument against using tax dollars to ever help anybody. If you think this is valid then how can you support Medicare, the entire public education system, etc., etc., etc.

2 Likes

If you don’t think white people today still benefit from slavery…

Legacy admissions
Generational wealth
Look at the board of pretty much any company
Look at the bench

I do.

However there are some political reasons reparations haven’t been passed. We live in a racist country. Lots of Democratic Dads.

Plenty of non-black people ride the bus and use Medicare.

Btw I meant a generic “you” not anyone in particular.

So what?

Possibly the most pathetic loser ever

https://twitter.com/arookerkcci/status/1637152380683681792?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

1 Like

A little late to the game here, but as AQ already pointed out, saying that one part of “woke” beliefs is that disparity is driven by discrimination is right.

To quote from Stamped from the Beginning:

When you truly believe that the racial groups are equal, then you also believe that racial disparities must be the result of racial discrimination.

2 Likes

I don’t believe that discrimination explains why white Europeans are so much better at basketball and soccer than white Americans.