GOP Insanity Containment 2: This is the Place. This is the Time, Cowboy.

I don’t think that’s the main thrust of the argument. It’s in the article but he talks about how art can be good with or without a political message and sometimes art is just bad even with a political message. So the quality of the film itself as a film is tangential.

I think he’s tying into one of the factors that a segment of the audience is being appealed to on is nostalgia, but nostalgia is always slightly disappointing because you can never really recapture the intensity of emotion you felt originally, the film can only ever gesture to it. And reactionary forces are misdirecting that disappointment to say, actually the film would have been good if not for the minority characters. When, in reality, it’s can be a whole host of potential problems. You can pick any one of them out of a hat.

Good point. TLJ seemed to be catering for a whole different group of people - idiots.

2 Likes

I’m going to adamantly defend TLJ as the second-best Star Wars movie.

Behind what? AoTC?

Like most people, I have Empire first.

The response to RLJ is fascinating, due to the massive disconnect between critics and the masses on a blockbuster movie where the critics were the ones who overwhelmingly loved it.

two unrelated yet equally insane tweets from today.

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1569832914954723330

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1570157243957493760

12 Likes

Crap, I don’t know how to pronounce wanton either. I don’t think I’ve ever said that word out loud IRL. I’d say it like the dumplings too!

1 Like

Lol. Can’t stop laughing at wonton killing.

6 Likes

I mean, wanton dumplings be pretty awesome.

1 Like

You do the math!

2 Likes

I’d kill for some wonton soup right about now!

2 Likes

I asked for an AI wonton killing and I got this.

8-3hYm93BJNqHi5CD

:black_square_button: Wontons
:black_square_button: Killing
:ballot_box_with_check: Vaguely racist

6 Likes

Ai art about to put a lot of designers out of business.

Sounds delicious.

Which AI draw that for you? And what was your exact terms?

“wonton killing”

eta: idk anything about that site. Dall-E was busy and I randomly clicked a search result.

1 Like

Wonton Killing:

I’m imagining a story about a serial killer whose calling card is leaving chopsticks driven through each of his victims’ eyes and being dubbed by the media as the Wonton Killer, with the story being about the racist fear of the (white) masses suspecting every Asian man they encounter and the struggles of a 3.5-star Chinese takeout place dealing with decreased business.

13 Likes

This is a god damned Oscar winner right here.