General Strike May 1st: no Work, no Shopping, no School

Thanks for making my point so well.

2 Likes

Sabo-tabby lives near every working folk in the world. She really gets around!

Full disclosure: The IWW takes no official position on sabotage (i.e. the IWW neither condones nor condemns such actions). Workers who engage in some forms of sabotage risk legal sanctions. So I’m just discussing theory here, and nothing more. I will give some advice however: as with any other forms of civil disobedience, do not do it unless you are part of a team, have planned ahead of time (no “cowboy”-ing"), and are prepared to deal with the consequences.

IMO, because of the pandemic, the best option is to simply not go to work. But, there are other actions on the table. Actions that I am not endorsing because, as I said, I feel just not going to work is the call.

• Show up to work and not do anything.
  • Work to rule.
  • Sit down strike.
  • Stuff up the job ~ ex: deliver all the pizzas to the wrong addresses.
  • Throw your shoe into the loom.
  • Organize on the factory floor.
  • Teach the controversy.
  • Stop charging customers.
  • See to it that inventory can just “walk away”.
  • Clog up the loading dock with junk.
  • Stop taking the trash out.
  • Turn the back office into a free mask making factory.
    … etc/etc/etc, use your imagination

Follow the cat !!!1!

The cute songs, silly polls, and death rhetoric kind of falls flat in a world where the vast majority of non-essential employees are not actually being demanded to come into work on May 1st.

1 Like

Exactly. That’s why mixing the two messages is such a bad idea.

Libs getting in on the ‘sincere tactical advice from your political opponents’ kick, good times.

3 Likes

The goal is to save lives by less people going to work. If less people go to work, even only one less person in the whole world, it’s been more effective than not doing anything.

Dude, what you call the “left” and the “right” are the same team. Liberals, like you, are the one’s who are the lazy fucks. You’re advice is for working folk too spend only about 20 minutes a year on political action… and do absolutely nothing else. That’s absurd magical thinking… at it’s most fucking stupid level.

Organizing is hard fucking work. It can take a long time, sometimes generations. That’s to be expected. The world can’t be changed without hard work. Only a fool would imagine otherwise.

This is another reason why liberals make such piss-poor allies. Direct action != protest.

The Montgomery Bus Boycott wasn’t a protest. It was a successful attempt to run the racist private bus company out of business. The 1960s lunch counter sit ins were not protest. They were a successful attempt to stop the profits from flowing to the racist lunch counter owners. Most strikes aren’t protest, they are also attempts to stop the profit from flowing. Blocking freeways isn’t protest, once again it’s an attempt to stop the profits from flowing.

This general strike isn’t a protest either, it’s an attempt to save lives by everyone staying home.

2 Likes

dumbfounded that one could suggest that organizing for a strike isn’t ‘doing the work’

4 Likes

It’s always concern trolling with the liberals.

Except of course I didn’t say that.

I literally said it was only part of the work.

When you have no rebuttal alway lie and take a bad faith reading of the other side. How trumpkin.

you said it would be ineffective and moaned that the left didn’t want to do the hard work

ok , so its the easy work that does nothing, which is a lie

Rotfl. See my post above.

You claim I’m arguing for not doing the hard work in response to a post entirely about doing the hard work.

Except of course I didn’t say that either.

I said this protest won’t be effective because it’s mixing messages.

Some protests have been very effective. None have been the whole job of change.

pretty easy to see what you’re talking about here, i shall engage your bad faith posting no further

I’m taking about

Forming grassroots organizations
Raising money
Running for city council and school board
Joining door knocking and get out the vote campaigns
Writing opinion pieces in mass media
Going to public open houses of your local government
Donating to NGOs
Volunteering for a campaign in a non-election year
Debating the right in public forums

And

Being a part of protests, but ensuring they are effective.

3 Likes

Good post. The liberal protests of late have just been parades. Semantics, but if say it’s those things that don’t count as protests.

Well, only the first one actually works. But let’s leave that beside during the pandemic.

None of those things are going to work in May. The next POTUS BOWL is like after the World Series would have been played, for goodness sake. Most of the working folk that bosses are ordering to catch COVID will have died by then. We don’t have time for your West Wing “compromise” bullshit. Lives are at stake. WTF are you liberals thinking !!!1!

The only way to save lives this May is for working folk, regardless of their jobs, to defy the bosses, and not go into work. That’s a general strike.

Are you actually against the general strike? Or… are you only against the calling of the general strike a “general strike”???/?

His entire post is semantics.

Now if you want to discuss the efficacy of different types of action that’s my exact point.

Mixing a mayday general strike message with a protest against opening the country too soon is just bad politics. The latter has massive wide spread support. The former has nearly none.

If the goal is really to save lives then focusing on a mayday strike, seemingly only because it’s coincidentally close to may 1st, seems like a very odd decision.

Lol always

It’s bemusing how you honestly, in your deepest heart, think simply saying “liberals” a lot is some hugely successful rhetorical weapon. It’s a pretty familiar strategy coming from…hmmm? :man_shrugging::thinking:

Is the premise here that anybody who works for someone else is a slave?

1 Like