Fun Poster Data

is someone updating these stats in like semi-real-time?

1 Like

I give hearts to all. Except melkerson, now. :rofl:

1 Like

I agree with your post. Especially the part about Risky’s taste in movies.

1 Like

If it’s got 32% on Rotten Tomatoes, you may have found my next favorite movie

3 Likes

I still have 16 unread pms on 22. Some could be a decade old for all I know.

“Others” often fight with each other. They aren’t subject to the same group conformity rules as the Group members.

2 Likes

Maybe I read the wrong threads but describing Clovis as an “other” is pretty surprising to me. We don’t all have to agree on everything as long as we are here in good faith. He seems to meet that bar to me? What am I missing?

7 Likes

I’m not really saying you are right or wrong. I just haven’t perceived him that way and have enjoyed most of his posting over the years. There are very, very few people here who rub me the wrong way though so others may see it differently.

2 Likes

If yall are gonna argue about this then i’m not gonna do weekly stats

Didnt think anyone was gonna get upset over it. It’s just data.

10 Likes

Put the complainers on ignore :popcorn:
tenor (28)

1 Like

Agreed. I’m a big boy. I can take some people not liking me. My comment was about posts saying I was hated by everyone.

The stats are fun.

2 Likes

It is awesome and much appreciated that you took the time to put this together. Smart people always argue about data with vague interpretations, and in this case I think we have a wealth of new ideas and inside jokes without any real potential for lasting negativity.

Thanks, man.

8 Likes

Thanks for the thanks, it was only about ~45 minutes of work groggy as hell on a saturday. I’m gonna try to tool it out nicely and make it available so anyone can generate these stats if they want to. It’s really not difficult.

The next thing I’m gonna do is have a script that collects all the thread (aka topic) data for the whole forum. Then we can get thread stats, but I’m not sure what’s interesting there yet.

1 Like

Likes given to posts with pics vs without?

Avg no of pics per post, by poster?

2 Likes

Clovis spends at least half his time here viciously attacking everyone to his left, the disdain for him mostly relates to the quality of his posting. His stated views are fairly close to the median views of the forum, so it’s certainly not that he’s a political outsider. He’s stubborn, repeatedly mischaracterises his interlocutors, insults people at the drop of a hat and an awful lot of his posting, political or otherwise, is just about projecting a flattering image of himself. There’s no great mystery or particular insight into social dynamics surrounding why a lot of people dislike him.

6 Likes

I want to be liked, but I also can’t bother to really try very hard. So my sub 1.00 ratio is something I understand and accept.

There is also definitely an “out” group here. I like many of those posters. Many of them were lower on the scale of the likes ratio. I also find a big overlap between those posters and OOT exiles. There was always a bit of a politics forum vs OOT forum thing. I visited both forums very frequently, so I don’t really prefer one or the other - but OOT is definitely further to the right than Politics old.

If you notice, I mostly post in off topic subjects. So do a few others in the “out” group. I don’t feel I have much to contribute to the political conversation without just angering people so I don’t. But, this site is active enough to have something for everyone. That’s how I envision the site, not just being a bastion for the most liberal of us. It could be a great place to talk about anything from any viewpoint. The only people I’m not down to have post here are deplorables but as we saw with HnH it was kind of fun for a minute.

I also have never really understood why clovis makes some of you so angry but w/e I don’t take much of this seriously.

11 Likes

I assume most of the non-pol topics get way less views on average. That may also explain your ratio.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t you be able to post about politics without being deterred by anger at you voicing your opinion?

Would this happen in a real life group?

Is it an inevitable part of online disagreements?

1 Like

I don’t agree at all. From personal experience people can and often do debate politics in real life and adopt a very different mode because they have/want to avoid physical confrontation, which of course isn’t a consideration online.

But they are certainly capable of it and are usually quite good at it.

3 Likes

This is doable. I can just look at raw post data and look for img tags.

1 Like