From NBA Live '95 to 2K20: An Unstuck 5 Year NBA Dynasty Draft

From NBA Live '95 to 2K20: An Unstuck 5 Year NBA Dynasty Draft

Link to draft spreadsheet:

• Draft pool: You may draft any player from the 1994-1995 season until the current 2019-2020 season. No upcoming rookies.
  • Any player drafted you will have for a 5 year window.
  • You may draft a player from any season in their career. This includes current players.
  • A player may only be drafted 1 time.
  • Your team must consist of 8 players where their first year’s service time clock is this year (aka current day players).
  • Every team will have their first year’s performance already booked (barring the current season continuing).
  • Trades are allowed.
  • Draft 1 coach.
  • 16 Rounds (God willing).
  • You may draft a player who did/does not play the full five years (reason for full rosters).
  • Drafting is ABBBABBBABBBABBB.
  • Drafting window is 24 hours, then you’re skipped.

If I gave anyone a team in error, feel free to let the thread/me know and your team will be eliminated.

Anyone that would like a team may still enter until the first round is completed, any teams added will go in order based on posting in thread.

Edit:
Rule Changes
9 rounds.
Require 5 current players, 4 historic allowed.
No coach.

I’m just going to err on the side of listing everyone who posted. A few weren’t specifically in so they can either say to delete their team after the fact, or someone else can jump in potentially.

I’m talking to:

@NotBruceZ @Vict0ar @Marksman @Fossilkid93

Fits the specs you were asking for NBZ.

EDIT:
Draft Order (A)

1. Lawnmower_Man
  2. NotBruceZ
  3. DodgerIrish
  4. JonnyA
  5. bode
  6. mjiggy
  7. Yuv
  8. Namath
  9. Nicholasp
  10. anachronistic

Original Post:

There were 14 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. Lawnmower_Man
  2. NotBruceZ
  3. DodgerIrish
  4. JonnyA
  5. Fossilkid93
  6. bode
  7. McLovin
  8. mjiggy
  9. Yuv
  10. Vict0ar
  11. Namath
  12. Marksman
  13. meb
  14. anachronistic

IP: 67.61.219.238
Timestamp: 2020-04-06 23:45:46 UTC
@Lawnmower_Man @JonnyA @bode @McLovin @mjiggy @Yuv @anon92450360 @anon29622970 @anachronistic

@wiper dunno if you wanted in and/or to co-own

1 Like

Not going to lie I’m completely confused as to how this works. Maybe I will understand it better once people start drafting.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty intuitive once it gets going.

Is there anything specific I can clarify? You draft a team of 15 players and one coach. You have to draft 8 players where it’s starting for them this year that’s wrap(ped/ing) up. You can draft 7 other players where their first year is anywhere from the 94/95 season up until current day.

The first round is the order shown (A), rounds listed as B start from the bottom up.

The coach is watev and largely for fun, you can draft them in any year too let’s say (but they count as one of your 7 if you do so).

What’s the scoring, or even the objective? And i have to pick at least 8 active players? Sorry for being dumb.

No worries.

bc it cuts it off right at the end of the blurb: For some of us, our favorite part of fantasy is the actual drafts.

OK I missed the part where it was 8 current players and 7 previous, got it.

I guess I’m in.

Yeah but whats the objective? A good roto team? std 9 cat? Just pretty names? Its fun to draft when i know the objective

Yes, in their current form.

I don’t want to list undrafteds but we can use LeBron as an example. You could draft him now, in the season where he’ll prbly finish 2nd in MVP and then you’d have him the next 4 years (if he plays them all).

Or you could draft 9/10 Bron thru 13/14 or 12/13 thru 16/17.

The objective is to minimize ridicule from other participants and observers, as I understand it.

1 Like

Done how? What stats are good one for the purpose of this game? I can just pick a tony allen ben wallace jae crowder james johnson ron artest team based on the coveted who would kill you in a street fight stat.

1 Like

The objective is subjective.

I could find a post from a different draft that would paraphrase what I’m about to say prbly better but: the goal is basically you’re a gm in a league of 14 teams with the goal of winning the title. You could prioritize winning a single year, or competing in all 5, or somewhere in between. Because you can select players in their prime across the board it does drastically change the dynamic compared to the normal pool available to you.

How you approach winning is just like the real world where there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Most of the time it resolves with something of a consensus of the top drafted teams (who ‘played well’). Again, usually draft slotting is a much bigger issue in how good of a hand you’re initially dealt. We’ve ran sims on 2k and had judges in the past but ultimately it’s supposed to be a fun exercise. There’s no $ on the line so it’s largely a matter of whether you enjoy it or not (researching players, anticipating being sniped, offering trades, etc).

This is all just sports fan fiction to pass the time.

2 Likes

Someone got a google spreadsheet handy?

Link to draft spreadsheet:

Yep.

The ones you can’t count.

Memphis never got that far (single fluke WCF appearance, akin to Portland last year) in a much, much weaker league than this one will be.

Sorry, I’m not able to participate as I’m in a rake race this week. I’ll definitely be following along though.