Food & Drink World Cup

Placeholder for results:

CONCACAF Qualification
CONMEBOL Qualification
CAF Qualification
UEFA Qualification
AFC Qualification
OFC Qualification

With sports and traveling cancelled for most of us for the foreseeable future and with the recent discussion in the LC thread, I thought it might be fun to do a Food and Drink World Cup, where we will crown the best national cuisine in the world.

It will work similarly to the FIFA World Cup, and since it’s the World Cup, everyone is invited! (Well, as long as you’re a FIFA member…sorry Greenland). So much like the World Cup, there will be a long road of qualifying that should take us most of the rest of summer to complete.

I’ll try to post 3-5 matchups every day until we get down to our final 32. Will leave polls up for 3 days.

I don’t know a lot about the food and drink from many of these countries (especially in the early rounds), but maybe you do, so supporting your favorite food areas with pictures and descriptions is encouraged.

First batch of matchups are in the Caribbean:

• Guyana :guyana:
    • St. Vincent and the Grenadines :st_vincent_grenadines:

0 voters

I’m sure there will be fiercely debated battles in the famous Solomon Islands - Vanuatu rivalry of OFC

3 Likes
  • Suriname :suriname:
  • British Virgin Islands :british_virgin_islands:

0 voters

• Antigua and Barbuda :antigua_barbuda:
  • Aruba :aruba:

0 voters

• Dominica :dominica:
  • Grenada :grenada:

0 voters

Voting in polls is fun

4 Likes

USA should be a #9 from Taco Bell with a Baja. Easy win.

BVI:

Some African battles for you to ponder:

• Chad :chad:
  • Equatorial Guinea :equatorial_guinea:

0 voters

• Eswatini :swaziland:
  • South Sudan :south_sudan:

0 voters

• Central African Republic :central_african_republic:
  • Lesotho :lesotho:

0 voters

• Gambia :gambia:
  • Sao Tome and Principe :sao_tome_principe:

0 voters

So is everyone else also voting just based on the pictures? I dont know what any of this stuff is, except by association to foods that look similar.

I did in this round but am willing to change my mind if anyone’s pics, stories, recipes, TRs are interesting in the slightest

2 Likes

It’s a bad thread that reduces ethnic food diversity to one dish. I lived in a compound in The Gambia and their food isn’t typified by that photo.

How do I delete all my votes?

2 Likes

I’m definitely not trying to do that with the pictures.

I’ll admit. I’ve eaten at some of the best restaurants on earth and consider myself a pretty big foodie but I have a weird soft spot for Taco Bell. I can’t really explain it.

4 Likes

I don’t think that is what is happening. If anything it’s a cool chance to learn about food we have little experience with.