LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

I would rank Istanbul as one of the best Food cities in the world and Turkish/ME cuisine is clearly in any top 10 lists, whatever the parameters are (influence or taste).

2 Likes

I wouldn’t argue against that but for some reason the flavour palate from that part of the world has never been my thing. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it.

To be fair, I haven’t had huge exposure. I have been to Turkey, Israel, and Saudi Arabia.

French food is massively overrated.

I’m also heavily biased towards East Asian food.

1 Like

It’s hard to find Korean food in Europe. The only times I had was in Las Vegas and London. Both times it was a massive disappointment.

Now that I think about it, most Korean food I’ve had in Europe wasn’t at a Korean restaurant but at a general Asian one.

Starting a Food and Drink World Cup thread. I’ll be putting up the first polls shortly.

1 Like

Aside from kebab, I haven’t had any Middle Eastern food that I’m aware of. Hard for me to judge anything there.

French food strikes me as one of those things that is vastly overrated and still awesome. Like, I hear where you’re coming from but can one seriously argue that a fine herbs omelet is not sublime eating? A croissant? I could go on and on.

I had andouillette in Lyon. Smelled weird, tasted okay but it wasn’t breathtaking. Certainly wouldn’t kiss a girl after eating it that’s for sure.

Where’s Spanish food though? Hard to beat a quality paella. That is unless you’re foolish enough to not get it in Valencia.

1 Like

Cantonese, Hunan and Szechuan cuisine are certainly different but closer to each other than they are to French food for example.

@microbet does nano daughter like food shows? Then she’d like come dine with me…

I also rank Spanish food over French food.

In the broader discussion, I think cuisine rankings are influenced quite a bit if you include alcoholic beverages in the ranking. Euro wines and beers push the total package ahead of Asian cuisines IMO. And the US gets a huge boost if you include beer and wine.

1 Like

Rewatched with sound = 100 times worse.

“Spaghetti sticks, or spaghetti, or whatever you want to call it”

I felt physically ill when she started pouring whatever that mixture was onto it.

1 Like
1 Like

I’m not a big fan of these kind of shows and only made it this far because I was multitasking, but 3:13 is good.

Yeah that was funny, though the contestants are obviously hamming it up and can’t approach that British woman for authentically useless coooking.

For me #1 cuisine is Mexico. But it’s also the one I have the most broad exposure to.

@suzzer I feel like what you’re identifying as greek/middle eastern may be better described as eastern Mediterranean or something like that. Essentially Greece, Turkey, and the Levant.

I’m not sure where to rank my favorite African cuisines, but my friend’s family hosts an annual Taste of Liberia at their home which is incredible(must enjoy spicy to appreciate) and Ethiopian food has never disappointed me.

I spent a week in Beijing and I didn’t like the food very much at all. The best meal, and it was very good, was various dumplings and broth/soup at a little place our guide (paid for by my work for the day - I never hire guides even to my own detriment) brought us to for lunch between visiting Forbidden City and the Great Wall.

I’ve been told food in other parts of China can be very different and very good.

Spain too low, imo. It’s too bad people lump Basque food in with Spanish because it’s different and it’s amazing.