FIRE (Financial Independence; Retire Early)

As a person who needs like 4-5 months of travel per year, I’m just going to conveniently ignore this thread :joy:

1 Like

If you’re traveling 4-5 months a year, you’re just as good as retired and living the good life already.

1 Like

Well kind of, until I retire with nothing in my bank acct… But I do have some savings but it’s not much. Maybe retire in Nicaragua amounts.

You can sell plasma pretty much anywhere. Also have you considered being a mule? You are already travelling, might as well offset your expenses.

I had kids late in life and I couldn’t see retiring until they’re at least through their undergrad which will put me close to 65 anyway. It’s really tough for me to picture retirement needs, I don’t really have expensive hobbies but I am accustomed to travelling well, as is my wife. I think her lifestyle expectations for the golden years are higher than mine.

That said I squirrel away a lot because I really want to reach the Fuck You stage where I could retire. I am in general a worrier so I will probably oversave and be happy too leave an inheritance but I’m at least secure enough to not post some dumb thread in bogleheads about whether or not I can retire with millions in the bank.

4 Likes

The last time I saw this much retirement talk was 2007.

4 Likes

Well im sure nothing bad happened after that, so we should be good here.

2 Likes

I’m late 30s and if my current trajectory continues I think I’d be looking at around 51-53 to retire. But that would also have to involve moving to a cheaper area while spending most od my time playing video games and going on an occasional camping trip which would be fine, I guess.

I’d imagine the more time goes by and the more advanced we get with tech, the more the govt is going to have to fork out for the elderly. Jobs don’t pay pensions like they used to and there won’t be any boomers left to give their inheritance to so who really knows what things will look like on that front for the next generation.

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1628796771907280897

1 Like

This is just creating a luxurious bolt hole for this billionarie’s head of security.

5 Likes

Haha maybe! I will certainly keep my options open

I do enjoy thinking about just how many of the last words of billionaires will be “but I’m your boss…”

3 Likes

4 Likes

After having a conversation with my partner about the career transition topic, let me take a step back on my career progress to add a few disclaimers.

I graduated from the bootcamp in 2017, my partner in 2018. It feels like there are a lot more bootcamps now than there were 5-6 years ago which means more competition for those roles, but most job searchers have something unique in their background even if it isn’t being an xx-elite-wizard-algorithmic-meme-lord-xx. Also, the last year hasn’t been great for big tech with stock prices and layoffs, but the stocks were overinflated and some companies definitely overhired while others used these layoff rounds as an opportunity to pad the wallets of their shareholders. The job market was definitely a little different back then, a smidge more optimistic. While there are still a ton of software engineering jobs out there right now, a lot of the big-tech, highly-compensating employers that are making the data points on levels.fyi either aren’t hiring or are strictly hiring to replace a previous employee, which often means it isn’t an entry-level position.

Now to bring it back to the compensation area. My partner laid out the pay bands for her big-tech. Her company is setup in a way that there are different pay bands for different states and that the lowest pay band is about 75% base comp compared to where we live. I know that the pay-band at her company for a Software Engineer 1 is " $133,400 to $183,400" per the job listing since they are required to post this by law in my state. So adjust that down 75% for the lowest pay band and we’re at 99.75k on the low end. Then if you’re not working for big tech co the base is typically a little lower, adjust that down again 80% and you’d be about 80k for an entry-level role at a startup in a low cost of living area. Depending on the COL and your locale that would change, but that’s about what I’d estimate. Honestly, a lot of the reason we’re paid these salaries is because of our zip code and the competition that exists between companies to hire talent at competitive rates.

There are a lot more remote software engineers now than there were 3 years ago and I see that continuing to go up, but at a slower pace or to a lesser degree something like hybrid remote like 2-3 days in office. I’m saying that knowing full well there is a large return to office movement going on now.

I’m not sure I can quantify this in any way. I do think that most businesses are more apt to low-ball offer a bootcamp grad compared to a CS grad fwiw. I’m not sure why, but I think most of the bootcampers are just happy because they are significantly increasing their salaries and don’t negotiate as hard.

Need, as in 100% have to have? I don’t think it is needed, but it opens doors (or at least that’s what I tell myself that student loan money was spent on). It will definitely catch eyes with the initial resume screen (especially if it is someone’s first software engineer job) which typically happens in HR rather than the engineering manager.

I don’t think it would matter as much if the person has 1-2 years of experience in another role and then applied to big tech co. The experience doing the work will be more important at that point.

5 Likes

Would you care to say which bootcamp you attended?

Flatiron School for me, Ada Developers Academy for my partner.

Does anyone know if the deadline for a Roth conversion is 12/31 or if there is a grace period like for Roth contributions?

If you’re asking if you can count a conversion done before April 15 as a previous year conversion, I believe the answer is no. A conversion is a conversion the year it happens. Was looking at this recently when I realized I forgot my 2022 contribution.

1 Like

You can contribute for the 2022 tax year up until April 2023, but if you convert after 1/1 it’ll go on your 2023 taxes (probably with your 2023 backdoor unless you slack again).

IANACPA, but my wife is so :man_shrugging: