Fast food thread

I thought the popeye sandwich was a giant heartburn and i hated it. While im admittedly a pretentious snob, i think chik-fil-a sandwich is great so i’m not just hating on fast food.

You ain’t wrong. The BYB blackened chicken sandwich is really not an apt comparison. The Chick fil a chicken sandwich is the best. It’s the only thing I order there.

On a side note, how have we not seen the genesis of a fast food chain that focuses on healthier options and environmentally friendlier packaging. Maybe with the advances in fake meat tech it will happen.

1 Like

Only 55 BYB locations not enough to qualify

1 Like

Freshii is what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Seems useless as fast food. The thing that makes fast food good is the ability to eat most of them menu one-handed while driving. Salads, bowls, soups…too much of their menu is not car-friendly fare.

hopefully this chain will go national. It is incredibly tasty and drive-thru friendly.

I’ve had the Popeye’s sandwich like three times and each time thought it was just a better version of a Chik Fila sandwich, not sure what experiences people are having with them being super greasy. That said a local place opened that makes a version that’s better than either so will hopefully just be going to them for my fried chicken sandwich needs.

55 locations in places where nobody lives.

I’d argue that we have seen this to some extent with the rise of “fast casual” places. I know there is some debate about the distinctions between the categories, but one of the big selling points to the fast casual places is health, or at least the perception of being healthier. “We prep/cook the food on site, we use fresh ingredients, it’s not mass produced” is a lot of the pitch of places like SweetGreens or Roti or any of the other build-a-bowl type places that have popped up in the last decade.

On the other hand, there are limits to how much you can “healthify” the fast food experience. How much will people pay for a burger when they’re just trying to cram some calories before their next meeting? What foods can you eat in a car while on a road trip? How much harder is it to insure product consistency if you are trying to use fresh ingredients on site instead of just heating up processed products that were made in a central facility? The entire idea of fast food was predicated on being cheap and quick, and healthy doesn’t align with that very easily, at least not at big chain scale.

1 Like

I don’t know how much healthier it is, but fast food around the world is not necessarily mass produced and still cheap and very consistent.

Are you talking about chains? Obviously individual restaurants can produce healthy food quickly and in a way that isn’t mass produced and I can even think of a couple small chains (probably less than 50 locations) that do fast food concepts with better packaging and ingredients, but not many.

I think it’s a matter of culture. Americans want burgers, chicken sandwiches, and fries fast and cheap. Yuck posted a lot of Israel-ish food that looks quick, healthy, and cheap: hummus, falafels, schwarma, kebobs, gyros. I’ve never been to a Pita Pit but I suspect it hits most of the requirements and is a chain.

Yuck is a nice touch.

Damn autocorrect. I’m not editing it though.

For some reason Popeyes in Canada doesn’t sell the sandwich.

its cuz its only for free people, not you commie canadians.

3 Likes

I think for most Americans, fast food = drive-through. We are a culture built around the car. Like, I would consider kebab to be fast food, but it is the fast food of walking cities, and we don’t have many of those here.

So healthy won’t take off unless it can be forced into the form of something we can eat on the road.

I absolutely despise drive throughs and never use them. But that’s like reason number 4,076 why I’m a weirdo

I never had a drive thru before i got here but i did just get a single hamburger animal style with extra chillies from in n out (no american cheese because its not food and no fries because they are an abomination)

I use them because I am, at heart, a misanthrope, and it’s the most efficient way to procure fast food with as little interaction with people as possible (even before COVID). Not to mention the fact that I can be wearing sweats or even pajamas and no one can see it.

1 Like