Fast food thread

I don’t marinate it in the chili sauce.

I just drizzle a little bit of soy sauce right over the tofu, which the tofu instantly absorbs like a sponge since I’ve pre-freezed it and then pressed it dry with a cast iron skillet.

After this, a quick dredge in cornstarch helps it to get brown and crunchy in the wok, followed by the veggies and then the sauce.

Once the frozen tofu is thawed, everything else takes less than 15 minutes (assuming the sauce is already prepared).

That works too, but I’m too lazy to even marinate stuff today. Tofu + veg stir-fry is a solid quick-and-easy weekday meal.

1 Like

A whole roasted chicken is so far beyond any pre butchered cuts it’s ridiculous.

Chicken thighs are perfectly fine with some basic dry seasoning. We even eat breasts like that in our house too but I prefer thighs.

Not possible. Best parts are legs and thighs. A whole roasted chicken gives you those, but a bunch of extra, less palatable stuff. Just give me all the thighs and legs. Wings are K. You can keep that chicken breast, though. I’d almost rather have tofu.

1 Like

I managed to kill the tofu thread with exactly that.

I like how we’re doing this in the fast food thread.

Here’s a tofu recipe:

Joe Foegen’s Peanut Butter Tofu Pie (with Notes from the Club)

Here’s a no-bake PB Tofu pie recipe I’d like to submit to Recipe Club for Priya to consider. It’s super easy, tasty, and quite adaptable to a vegan diet.

Filling:
1 lb extra firm tofu
¾ cup sugar
½ container creamy peanut butter (regular-size jar)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp non–dairy milk*

Crust:
1 stick butter
25 chocolate sandwich cookies or 1 pre-made chocolate cookie crust

Crust directions:

1. Melt butter in a bowl.
  2. Crush the cookies in a food processor/blender (sometimes it’s easier to do this in small batches to get consistent crushing).
  3. Combine the melted butter and crushed cookies in a bowl, then flatten this mixture into a pie pan.
  4. Chill or freeze (30 minutes)

Filling:

1. Cut tofu into cubes or strips.
  2. Combine tofu, sugar, and vanilla in a food processor or blender†† and puree until smooth
    (sometimes small batches are easier).
  3. Combine the tofu mixture and PB in a bowl and mix well.§
  4. Pour the tofu PB mix into your pie crust and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.‡

Truth be told, I used to make this vegan style (non-dairy butter, Hydrox cookies). Currently I’m less into sugar, so I would reduce the sugar to ⅔ cup.

Don’t use natural peanut butter. I use Wegmans Just Peanuts peanut butter.

It’d be easier to buy a pre-made crust, so do it.

Recipe Club’s Notes

• This is really just to keep it vegan. Regular milk is fine.
    † Just buy the crust, unless you have the ingredients on hand.
    †† The food processor is the better call for this job.
    § Don’t make Chris’s mistake of blending them together, or you’ll risk burning out your food processor’s motor.
    ‡ This pie cries out desperately for accoutrement. Cookies, chocolate drizzle, a layer of jam, whatever! Gild the lily.

Peanut butter video! (click through to view) Spotify

I’m in Serbia now and I really think that pljeskavica can take over as the latest in ethnic fast food. I mean why does doner kebab have to be everywhere while something that tastes better and is also simple to make can’t be?

1 Like

I don’t get why there are people on the internet apparently freaking out about this video:

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1584988872920158208?s=20&t=M9WBN36Y2dSWySj734VH1Q

What a dumbass! Does he think McDonald’s are cooking and slicing up fresh racks of ribs?

3 Likes

What did this guy think a McRib was

McRib most overrated fast food item aniec

1 Like

I always thought McD’s rolled in a smoke pit behind each restaurant when the McRib comes back on the menu.

My buddy is a bit like Homer Simpson when it comes to the McRib. Excited every time it remakes an appearance. he even went out of his way to eat one in Austin, a day after having Franklin’s.

1 Like

Now that’s good eating.

yeah it sucks

FYI for those not watching the World Series:

Taco Bell will be giving out a free Doritos Locos Taco thanks to a stolen base by the Phillies.

Canada is getting its first Handmaiden’s Tale Chicken sandwich shops next year. The media is going wild. Based on my trying it this year in the states I am baffled by the love.

Yeah, me too. Everything they have seems somewhere between not great and fine.

A big part of why people love CFA is completely detached from the food itself.

CFA is awful but loving it is as much of an irrational religion as anything else.