Tofu Sucks - Or Does It? It does.

Was definitely a thin and oily sauce.

As a frequent tofu eater I gotta be honest with you guys: I think mapo tofu has been badly oversold ITT.

1 Like

that’s gaslighting

You gonna put this on me every time I post?

well this was a joke but i guess the time’s not right

2 Likes

Apologies, I took it the wrong way. I throw out these kinds of one-liners all the time, I need to understand that what’s good for the goose is what’s good for the gander.

1 Like

All tofu is not created equal, even in Japan. There’s a shop just a couple minutes away from my house that makes all its tofu on site, and it’s so good and fresh you can eat it plain right out of the container.

1 Like

I’m having a hard time imagining that this tastes good. It’s not like we’re talking about sashimi here. How does the freshness help?

I mean eating it straight out of the container isn’t my chosen method of consumption. Just saying it tastes good enough that you can.

And freshness does make a big difference. Can’t really explain other than to say you can taste the freshness–you can tell is was just made and it comes across in the flavor.

Awwww yeahhhhh

3 Likes

Nice play, get all the iphone losers to post their stupid church photos from their classic europe organized trip in 2008 while you corner the tofu photo market

1 Like

I know, lol Europe amirite?!

Here’s a tofu dish from Bali that’s pretty tasty:

Bumbu Bali

I used to make tofu stir-fry when my older daughter was vegetarian. The demoisturizing was a pain, but it tasted fine.

Hating [extra-firm] tofu seems kind of silly, since this is like hating chicken breast. Neither one has much of any taste plain.

1 Like

I just had vegan asada fries from Modern Times in Portland that rivaled any meat I’ve had. Maybe I should reevaluate.

2 Likes

Huh, looks like their whole menu is vegan. Pretty bold choice. The asada is seitan, not tofu tho :wink:

I was too many beers in to notice. Was really good though. Would recommend.

Yeah, I will probably hit them up sometime after my girls get vaccinated and cases settle down

Crispy marinated tofu with fried brown rice.

Freezing/thawing the tofu, marinating it, and then coating the pieces with cornstarch all helped to elevate it to something I’d look forward to eating again

3 Likes

My third time cooking tofu:

Baking the tofu in the oven worked much better than pan frying. Turned off the oven and tossed some spring onions in while the rice was finishing up for the last few minutes.

I used some store bought sauce because it was on sale. It’s Panda Express Orange sauce. I assumed it would be super sweet, but it’s not bad.

Very crunchy, sweet, salty, and green oniony. Pretty good.

4 Likes