Fast food thread

Norcal too. My favorite donut shop growing up in San Jose was an awesome Cambodian family

1 Like

I’ve decided I like fresh apple cider donuts from the pumpkin patch the most

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/BeyondMeat/status/1582796988940111872?s=20&t=xB58qrkWfF10B0B7zfkWzw

Why not just make crispy tofu in an orange sauce? So weird.

From my experience, olant based beef is passable to ok. Llant based chicken is often a horror show

I think I’ve had textured vegetable protein in stir fries where it was clearly a chicken substitute (like a cashew chicken stir fry but with TVP) and it was pretty good.

It’s justweird to me that even in an “Chinese”-style fast food places they’re going with fake meat instead of tofu. Why not just serve Mapo tofu?

1 Like

because tofu is disgusting, no one actually likes tofu

1 Like

I do. You have clearly never had tofu correctly. I make killer ass crispy tofu.

3 Likes

I’ve found the opposite. Maybe they’re better at it down here in the land of fruits and nuts (that’s what my dad affectionately calls California), but the fake chicken I’ve had has been better than the fake beef in most cases.

Maybe because it’s usually breaded in sandwiches or chicken strip form. Though, in Asian food I usually just go for tofu.

Tofu is fine when paired with the right ingredients. I like tofu best when cooked with pork.

i said what i said

And people that have had poorly prepared tofu will never have it again.

#TeamTofu. I don’t understand why anybody would even bother making a fake version of the protein that’s infamous for being bland and is never served without being buried in some other flavor.

You might want to join #TeamTempeh as well. It’s easier to brown in a pan so we use it a lot for recipes like stir-fries. Fried tofu is also incredible but its a bit more work. Tempeh can be sliced and fried more easily.

Tonight I’m planning to make crispy tofu with peppers, onions and mango chunks in a homemade sweet Thai chili sauce.

4 Likes

I’m making stir-fry tofu with veg and premade sauce.

Do you either marinate the tofu or dredge it in cornstarch?

People know that the classic preparation of mapo tofu is made with minced pork or beef, right?

1 Like

finally someone with the balls to say it - chicken’s fucking disgusting unless marinated. I really don’t like chicken, or much meat either really except very occasionally beef and I love fish. if you cant eat it raw, fuck off with it in my opinion

Sometimes but I have little time today, hence the pre made sauce. I do add chopped aromatics.