Fast food thread

JFC just burn the entire world down it’s not worth living any more.

Seriously though is it just an East Coast thing where every city and town is riddled with sub and pizza shops? I live in a town of about 15,000 people and we have at least 5 or 6 independents. (Actually some of these are just over the town line, but anyway within a few miles of my house 5 or 6.)

I think it’s an east coast thing.

I live in a flyover country in a city with population in the 50k-100k range where, sadly, Olive Garden is probably the best Italian restaurant in the city. (There are better ones 30 minutes away). The independent places that closed several years ago were worse.

1 Like

Subway bread is so bad a government legally declared it to be not bread.

3 Likes

Dont forget the $5 footlongs. It was a legit good deal at the time, but its laughable to spend $11 on the same sandwich today

1 Like

And Potbelly. They have some killer sandwiches

1 Like

today i went for the giant size “the super sub” since im eating these every day anyway, it’s twice the sandwich for $20 or so.

this is gonna be 3-4 meals lol

2 Likes

Arby’s gyro sucks ass and balls, flatbread is Subway-grade.

3 Likes

there’s a bazillion greek/mediterranean places near me, they pop up every few months it seems, i cant imagine going for gyro at arby’s!

i used to really like subway’s breakfast flatbread combo 6-7 years ago, doubt it’s any good now

since moving back home i had shwarma like 7 times already. Had no idea how much i missed it. The things they sell in the US aren’t even close

2 Likes

I did t even know if was possible to make an awful gyro, but Arby’s did it. It felt like the pita was some weird gluten-free bread or something.

Why is America like 300 years behind Europe in the bread department.

Americans prefer perceived value over quality. American bread (and American food in general) caters towards that attitude. It uses cheap ingredients with efficient industrial processes and is designed to be shelf-stable.

1 Like

Sadly yeah it’s pretty hard to find a good independent sandwich shop outside of the East Coast. Having lived out there for the first 20+ years of my life I always thought Subway was shit, although I ate it sometimes when I moved out to AZ and was poor. Now if I want a sandwich it’s usually Jersey Mike’s, which I think is genuinely pretty good, or Jimmy John’s because they will deliver one sandwich to my work for cheap and I like their tuna. There’s also a local chain out here called Eegee’s that makes pretty good ‘grinders’ and also has great French fries with ranch but none of this really touches the stuff you get in the tri-state area.

2 Likes

I look at the cost of cold cuts, cheese, and bread at the supermarket and have a hard time justifying going to a sandwich shop when I can assemble a sandwich in minutes and use a paper towel as a plate so there is no cleanup.

2 Likes

Yeah this is so true. When I was a kid I lived in the Middle East for a while, so I grew accustomed to great (and really cheap) shawarmas. Biting into one here was always a disappointment. But it has been so long, that I’ve now gotten used to the mediocrity of Amercan shawarmas. It’s still disappointing, but not the same kind of disappointing.

lol, that’s exactly what I do.

I’m setting myself up for ridicule but I bought this at Sam’s a couple weeks ago and it is both pretty good and a lot of food for the price. The cooking time is basically like 30 seconds on the pita and 1.5 mins on the meat in a skillet. Comes with feta and tzatziki sauce. Has to be better than Arby’s at like 25% of the price point per pound:

3 Likes

they closed the weinerschnitzel near me and replaced it with a kebab place. we have like 18 kebab places, none of them are even good, and now zero weinerschnitzels.

I didn’t know the fall of civilization would look like this.

Since getting the McDonald’s app, I now often get the 2-for-1 Big Mac/Quarter Pounder/10 piece deal and eat it by myself. This is the exact situation I was hoping to avoid.

1 Like

So what’s it like to not have to poop for days at a time?

2 Likes

We’re rotten with Weinerschnitzels here but I’ve never set foot in one. Should I?