Fast food thread

No idea how Subway stays in business. Just raise prices by a dollar or something and get the quality halfway decent, FFS.

1 Like

the really crazy thing is their sandwiches are like $12 near me. I tried one recently, and it was nearly inedible. I’m really not too picky of an eater, either.

I think the main reason there is so many of them is not that they are exceptionally profitable, ots that they are a very cheap franchise to buy. Tons of them have been closing, it was big news before the pandemic.

1 Like

a friend of mine from HS’s dad owned a few. I don’t know anything about it other than it feels like it’s probably predatory of subway in some way, there’s no way some of these are successful. Then you’ll see crazy things like two of them in the same strip mall and stuff.

loooool capitalism:

Previously, the franchisee — who owns two locations and has been a franchisee for decades — ordered local produce to stock restaurants. The company, she said, forced her to stop doing so.

It’s not because it’s good, it’s because a) they offered the lowest entry cost for people that wanted to franchise a fast food restaurant and b) they found lightning in a bottle with the fat Jared ads which really convinced millions of Americans that Subway’s food was “healthy”.

Edit: they started to decline as soon as they got competition from other sub places and people realized that they had better options.

1 Like

I used to love Subway 15 years ago. It’s pretty awful now

1 Like

The thing I never understood about Subway is that, at least around me, we always had great local sub shop options that always smoked them. Of course I had one here and there when travelling or whatever for convenience, but given a choice almost never.

1 Like

I’ve never had a transcendent cold cut sub sandwich. I’d probably just get Subway if it was cheaper than other places.

I’m not sure I have either, but Subway these days is really bad. Although your best alternative isn’t going to be transcendent, it will likely be an order of magnitude better for very little more money.

Also Subway isn’t even really that cheap anymore

Given a choice of Subway, Jimmy John’s, Potbelly, and Quiznos, I’d take whatever is cheaper.

Margin is unimportant? You’d take subway to save a quarter?

If you’re on a tight budget, I respect that, but this take is absurd. The extra money you pay for JJs is way worth it.

1 Like

I just don’t hate Subway bread the way most of its critics seem to. It seems adequate to me.

The only reason I ever eat subway is if I’m on the road and I want something moderately healthy right by the highway. But there’s enough Paneras and Chipotles nowadays to fill that void, so it’s pretty rare.

I would skip all of them and go to a local sub shop. None of those chains seem to be able to make a proper Italian sub for some reason. (I haven’t tried whatever this JJs is, but assume they can’t make one either.)

1 Like

I agree with jmakin’s take on jersey mike’s. Hands down best chain sub and worth how expensive they are. I’d probably go potbelly #2.

2 Likes

Also this (although JMs italian is passable).

I don’t think there is a non-chain sub shop in my city.