Fall LC thread

If one of your kids gets married at some point you might need to reconsider that stance. It’s certainly not a lock that you’ll have to, but it seems quite possible.

Also, funerals.

I was at one where a son-in-law was one of those “I’ll never wear a tie” guys, and he didn’t. I thought it was super douchey and disrespectful.

Phew. Last night I accidentally spilled a glass of red wine on my homebrew PC when I knocked it over with my chair. The picture cut out, so I immediately cut the power and poured a bunch of uncooked rice over everything, a la the famous cell phone trick. Today, I vacuumed out a bunch of rice, a fair bit of which was purple, but it works. I had figured the video card was toast at the very least. There will be grains of rice in there until the heat death of the universe, however.

2 Likes

Many years ago I went to a wedding without a suit. Looked like a complete and utter tool. Some pictures still om Facebook.

I don’t mind wearing a tie but I don’t always wear one for a funeral and never even considered it could be disrespectful.

Obviously it depends on your relation to the deceased and how formal the service is. Your neighbor and you’re in the back of a casual memorial? No tie is fine. Your mother-in-law and you’re seated in the front row of a catholic mass? You better be wearing a tie.

1 Like

Ties are an anachronism and therefore I disagree that it is disrepectful to not wear one.

2 Likes

We just buried my FIL. Was a catholic mass with me seated in front row with no tie. And the next day a military service at a national cemetery. Maybe I’m oblivious, but I didn’t even consider it and I don’t believe a single person had an issue with it.

Right after I posted that I asked my 17yo if I had to wear a tie at her wedding and she respectfully told me to shut up.

5 Likes

I’ve only been to one funeral in my life. I did wear a tie. Neither my family, nor my wife’s really does funerals. Just like an informal memorial/wake.

Almost all clothing is some sort of costume and public statement. If you choose another person’s event to make some gesture in defiance of accepted norms, you’re being disrespectful. You’re making the event about you.

If you stand out at a funeral and you’re not the dead person, you’re doing it wrong.

Does wearing a tie influence how much I have to tip?

But what if you weren’t making a statement and nobody gave two shits?

1 Like

I guess if nobody cared then there was nothing to care about. But in many families and social settings, people still do. And if you have to be in one of those you should probably put the little strip of cloth around your neck and tie a respectable knot in it.

2 Likes

If I gotta wear ties and not look like a slob to my job interviews, the goddamn POTUS should have to wear one.

Yeah, I agree. But I think it was funny that I just went through your exact example of when you have to wear one, and wasn’t. 15 years ago would probably have been a different story.

Hawaiian Wedding!

I haven’t been in a tie since my divorce hearing 10 years ago.

1 Like

The circle game. So fun! Let’s all play!

AKA - why do all these racists keep sucking my dick? (you know the reference)

2 Likes