Expenditures

Because I quoted?

Team quote 4 lyfe, and consider me triggered.

1 Like

@zikzak @spidercrab

It was on auto-renew. I re-upped for another 2 years, and it’s set to auto-renew then. No need to reimburse.

3 Likes

I expect we’ll probably need to temporarily upgrade hosting to deal with election traffic, for however long election traffic lasts (dear god it’s going to be months). The only option is going to be doubling the CPU’s and doubling memory, which doubles the price to $80/month. Thankfully we can roll that back as soon as traffic dies down due to Erik Prince’s secret police throwing us all in gulags a decisive Biden win quickly retruning the whole world to normalcy.

Rather than pull the trigger too soon on that and incurring unnecessary costs, I think we should wait until we obviously need to do it. So I’m proposing we should let the first debate happen with our current setup and see how it goes. That may mean slightly wonky forum behavior this coming Tuesday if we hit the server too hard. I’m really not sure how hard is too hard with our current setup, or how active the forum will be for the debates.

Not really related, but we will need to upgrade disk space at some point, maybe January-ish? We’re currently using 69% of 160 GB, and that grows by about 1% per week. We need some headroom there for maintenance stuff, so that should probably happen somewhere around 85% usage. We can add 100 GB blocks for $10/month.

@spidercrab because I know he likes to be @'ed for this stuff.

2 Likes

I don’t mind waiting and seeing how the first debate goes, but I strongly believe that some of the biggest value of this site comes from live events. So if the site gets stressed with the first debate, I think we should upgrade immediately with the expectation to dial it back in December or January. Or maybe February, depending on what we think Inauguration day is going to look like.

I think people have had reasonable questions about what we’re building up a balance of funds for, and increasing spending on hosting and disk space seems like a reasonable thing to do.

8 Likes

I haven’t followed the finance side of our experiment at all, but if/when we need money please PM me, I’m happy to cover the expense.

1 Like

You aren’t following the Donations thread? I just posted a trip report of using the Skyline Chili gift card that @NhlNut sent as a donation.

1 Like

3 Likes

My honest and semi-professional recommendation is to just do the upgrade. We can afford it, apparently, and delaying it could leave you open to some bullshit attack or other unforeseen event that just happens at the worst possible time (it always does).

2 Likes

I’m currently going back and forth on this. I’ll make a decision one way or another before Sunday.

I’ve changed my mind 6 different times in the past hour and written 2 complete posts that I then deleted. I guess if I’m that on the fence then the safe play is to upgrade. I’m like 90% sure we’ll be fine without doing it, but I don’t want everybody yelling at me if the 10% hits instead.

@spidercrab imma make it rain in the server room tomorrow morning.

asdf

7 Likes

Definitely. When this site first started, it was the live thread of the July 2019 primary debates that really sold a lot of people (including me) of how much better this place was.

2 Likes

I’ve paid no attention to this but upgrading for the first debate if we have the cash on hand seems wise.

We’re also drawing very live to server-overloading news on a daily basis from now through Inauguration Day.

We are now officially over-provisioned. Y’all better start using the crap out of the forum to justify the upgrade.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Presumably this means quoting every post you’re responding to - glad to have you on Team Quote!

1 Like

EasygoingBiodegradableAidi-max-1mb

Well done to the provisioning department.

Is the upgraded server able to handle that level of abuse? When I take my next two outer I’m happy to put it to the test.

Well, it’s virtual, so it’s going to be hard to make contact.

So I have to just yell at the sky?