Election distraction: What was the last CD you bought?

Also first CD works too. And first concert YOLO.

Inspired from the LC thread. Mine was Busta Rhymes - Genesis, and Cypress Hill - Skull and Bones. Both listened to all the way through maybe once. I’m not even sure I listened to every song on Cypress Hill.

I swear the Break Yo Neck song was different on the radio than the album. One of my biggest bugaboos with CDs - you shell out $15 for one song and it’s not even the version you like. Fuck those assholes, they got everything they deserved.

I bought Cypress Hill for this song:

Sounds pretty meh now.

The Busta Rhymes song holds up a lot better imo.

This one sounds more like the radio version to me. I want to say the album version was different. But maybe not. Not getting into my storage to find out.

Dido Life For Rent

2 Likes

No fucking clue about the last CD, but I know the first CD was Naughty By Nature: Nineteen Naughty Three

Not 100% sure. Maybe Yeezus (2013)

Weirdly I don’t remember my first CD.

I remember my first cassettes. I bought 4 at once - Styx - Kilroy Was Here, Foreigner’s Greatest Hits, Men At Work and J Geils - Freeze Frame.

First concert I didn’t go to with my parents - Styx - Kilroy Was Here tour. I wore my brand new Sergio Valente black jeans and black and red-striped muscle shirt. HOT

Mxpx, forget what album. Approximately 1998.

Mullet much?

2 Likes

Nah I’m a ginger with poofy hair. It would have to be a permed mullet and I wasn’t ready to go that far.

It was by a Boston band called Sidewalk Driver, they’re Glam Rock, I’d guess you’d describe them. My girlfriend at the time was friends with some of the band, all really good people, got to know them a little bit, beat them in a potato sack race. I saw them at a couple small places and bought a CD to support them, I don’t know if I ever listened to it. The guitar player is awesome.

Years later I took my wife to see Bon Jovi (don’t hate, she liked them) at the Fleet Center. I was in the can before the show and some guy asked me if I knew who was opening. I told him I had no idea, but I think it was going to be a local band.

Go out and sit down and the opener was Sidewalk Driver! I was so fired up, proud of those boys.

1 Like

Not 100% sure but I think my last physical CD purchase was this

51t0bbMQ6BL

1st CD purchase was either Atlantis Morissette Jagged Little Pill or Hootie and the Blowfish, I was probably 8 or 9 at the time

Wait, do cd roms count?

This is the last CD I bought. In 2010!

What is this the 1990s?

I can’t believe people buy CDs. Do you guys have Betamax players too?

I bought a new CD player last year. I really like it, but I mainly use it for streaming music.

Last CD I bought was this, when we went to see it on Broadway.

1 Like

I still buy vinyl records. Is that worse?

1 Like

Last CD I bought was last year, exclusively because the digital copy isn’t available in the EU because LOLfuckyouthat’swhy.

Chapo used one of the tracks on their Marianne Williamson interview episode, a kind of jaunty, April March sounding thing that’s just a fluffy piece of clockwork music really, but I like it.

I can’t say it’s a good album as such (about three, maybe four actually good songs), but it’s an interesting historical document. The singer did some backing vocals on Thomas Dolby’s debut album and he’s on some of the synths here. There’s definitely a parallel universe where these guys became one of the defining sounds of the '80s, as evidenced by this which is easily the best track:

Warm Girls (not one of the good songs though it gets OK at the two-minute mark) is extremely clearly about Jimmy Savile and it’s from like 1979. They were from Leeds and Savile lived there, so straight from the horse’s mouth I guess.

First CD I bought, I dunno, think it was Insomniac by Green Day or some shite.

1 Like

I sometimes support bands I see by buying a CD, but I haven’t been to too many concerts in the last few years.

First CD was probably some Columbia House shit. Last CD might be something by the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

1 Like

First CD I bought was in 7th grade:

Last was probably
sometime in college

3 Likes