El Sapo and RiskyFlush 1v1 Film War

That is fine if Kurosawa and Scorsese and Kubrick are to your taste. Maybe greater cultural significance. No, almost certainly, but IDK, the greatest movies?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FirmLightAllosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Goodfellas is not even close to the top 5.

I found it. It amuses me to post this as I am currently watching Stonehenge Apocalypse dubbed in to French.

This is from 2005 when I was already old enough to know better. (They’re still all great films that I still love, but I was trying too hard.)

fanny and alexander (Fanny and Alexander (1982) - IMDb)

chinatown (Chinatown (1974) - IMDb)
chungking express (Chungking Express (1994) - IMDb)
the conversation (The Conversation (1974) - IMDb)
fort apache (Fort Apache (1948) - IMDb)
nostalgia (Nostalghia (1983) - IMDb)
los olvidados (The Young and the Damned (1950) - IMDb)
roma (Roma (1972) - IMDb)
the rules of the game (The Rules of the Game (1939) - IMDb)
throne of blood (Throne of Blood (1957) - IMDb)

(Contemporary notes - Nostalgia is wrong, Andrei Rublev is much better. For bonus Bunuel snobbery you should go with Nazarin which is great.)

You are correct. Number one is way beyond number five.

I’ve only seen fanny, chinatown, conversation and the rules of the game.

The latter I remember seeing as a 20 year old with a couple of mates, both film students, in a double bill with another Renoir film, Boudu Saved From Drowning, which we plebs agreed was by far the better film.

Shows how much we knew.

I’ve not seen that one, but I think it is thought of as really great too. It often annoys me that films I would have bitten your arm off to see when I was a teenager I could now watch in seconds thanks to the internet, but do not.

2 Likes

I wasn’t really being serious, but it’s up there for me for purely personal reasons. I’ve been comfort watching it at night with spouse and a warm alcoholic drink and it’s been wonderful.

It’s like how it took me 40 years and a visit from the in-laws to get around to going to St Paul’s (although I’d always wanted to), whereas if I was a tourist it’d be high on the itinerary.

Well I was not being totally serious, either :+1:

The Office is so good. Once the Seinfeld draft is over, we should do one for the best episodes of The Office.

I never made it to Notre Dame before it burnt down.

Fallen Angels is better.

1 Like

I’ve added to my list so as not to appear so much of a blood and guts merchant.

1 Like

I.
just

can’t

Groundhog Day is a classic! I went to Gobblers Knob twice for GHD. Fun time, you stand in a field and drink whiskey and there are bands and then the big rodent.

Such a great movie. Both of these films are about existential fear. You could say Lost in Translation is a remake of Groundhog Day, but one of those situations where the remake is better.

1 Like

Does your movie contain any version of this dance?

If the answer is no, then by definition it cannot be better than GHD.

That’s nothing more than a goofy version of the stocking scene.

I would respond, but this doughnut, it’s just so

https://i.imgur.com/ZVSMRW5.gif

Started at exactly 7:00pm est for those who want to sync up

Whoa Tokyo. Bill plays tired good.

1 Like

Imagine a time when all most people remembered Sofia Copolla for was Godfather 3. This was a breakout role for Scarlett Johanson, but it was also a career-making movie for Sofia.