El Sapo and RiskyFlush 1v1 Film War

In 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table.

Tonight at 7pm EST, RiskyFlush and El Sapo fight to see who will plummet a full 17 ft.

We have ranked our top five movies of all time. Each week, we will reveal both of our picks. Once we have had a watch party for both movies, we will hold a vote to see which movie everyone thinks is best. Since everything you read on the internet is true, this will result in the One True List of the top five movies of all time.

We begin the cat fight tonight with

A simple coinflip determines which film we watch first.

LA Story

And thus the battle begins with Lost in Translation at 7pm EST.

If you are a plebe who does not own this already, Lost in Translation is currently streaming through Starz, which has multiple trials available through Hulu, Amazon, and the Starz app.

3 Likes

I can’t match RiskyFlush’s pop culture references, but I’ll stack my top five movies up against anyone’s. My criteria is simple: What five movies have I rewatched the most times?

Are these the greatest, most well-known and highly-revered films ever made? Yeah, a few of them are. And a couple are quirky favorites of mine that I discovered at the right moment and which stayed with me for decades.

Up first, and coming in at #5 on my list is … Lost In Translation.

From wiipedia:

Lost in Translation is a 2003 comedy-drama film written and directed by Sofia Coppola. It stars Bill Murray as middle-aged actor Bob Harris, who befriends college graduate Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson) in a Tokyo hotel. The movie explores themes of loneliness, insomnia, existential ennui, and culture shock against the backdrop of a modern Japanese city.

The movie received four Academy Award nominations and director Sofia Coppola won for Best Original Screenplay.

When I first saw Lost in Translation, initially I wasn’t a huge fan. I summed it up: “It’s just so sad.” Yet something from the movie resonated deeply, and after a half dozen or so watches it had become one of my favorite films.

The film is set in Tokyo, an entirely foreign space for the characters. Adrift from anything familiar, they meet and primarily exist in an anonymous hotel where they examine their lonely lives while keeping each other company.

What I love about this movie: The setting, in particular the hotel bar. The portrayal of this chance meeting, which could be life-changing. The sense that the story occurs in a “time out,” in a disconnected and unreal detour of life.

2 Likes

Neither of those would come anywhere near my top 5 films of all time.

Seriously?

2 Likes

4 Likes

So is recency bias. :smile:

One of those movies is a classic, the other is okay.

LETS GO.

1 Like

recency bias

2 Likes

Bill v Bill

May the best Bill win.

Never seen Lost in Translation.

Groundhog Day is a good movie. Lol best of all time.

No one said it’s the best of all time you snob.

It’s the fifth best.

4 Likes

Groundhog Day fans, in case you missed this during the Super Bowl. I died when he came back with the EA vest on the groundhog.

Groundhog Day is pretty good. Russian Doll is probably better. The ending of both kind of suck.

The Lost in Translation gifs are pretty great btw

giphy

1 Like

I thought Russian Doll was fantastic. I understand if the ending was not for you.

Anything less than unabashed praise for the One True Fifth Greatest Movie of All Time is unacceptable ITT.

1 Like

2 Likes