Education, all levels

It wouldn’t be fair to give this much hate to GMAT without pointing out that the GRE is equally terrible. None of the top mathematics PhD programs require the GRE general test–and it is strictly not accepted by several of them. Only Harvard and UCLA appear to require the math subject test among the top ten schools ranked by US News. Beyond that, many of the better public R1 PhD programs that I checked also do not require any scores other than TOEFL, and Rackham (Univ of Michigan) has a detailed statement about their school-wide decision to no longer accept GRE scores for PhD programs:

https://rackham.umich.edu/about/strategic-vision/discontinuing-the-use-of-the-gre-in-rackham-phd-admissions-decisions/

Why has Rackham decided to discontinue the use of the GRE general test in its Ph.D. admissions decisions?

Financial costs of the GRE potentially deter well qualified applicants to Rackham Ph.D. programs, as GRE costs and application fees are out-of-pocket costs to applicants. Additionally, prospective applicants may perceive the need to engage test preparation services at significant cost—many for-pay test preparation firms guarantee outcomes on the GRE, including score increases equivalent to decades in percentile. In this way, using the scores can introduce inequity based on race, ethnicity, gender, first-generation status, and socioeconomic status into our admissions processes in a manner that is not well controlled.

The benefits of using the GRE in Ph.D. admissions have also not been demonstrated. The goals of Ph.D. education include success in research and scholarship, and the production of a dissertation. The research literature does not demonstrate that these long-term measures are predicted by GRE scores.

That PDF is the slide deck used for the presentation and includes the citations for the research upon which the decision was based. Of those studies, Sealy et al. 2019 stood out to me. A potential problem with many of these studies is that subjects admitted based on GRE scores tend to have high GRE scores. One could argue–and I have several posts above–that above a certain score threshold, these tests are not providing meaningful differentiation, but perhaps below a certain threshold they are. They do not find that in this paper for GRE scores spanning a much wider range:

This study avoids the typical biases of most GRE investigations of performance where primarily high-achievers on the GRE were admitted. GRE scores, while collected at admission, were not used or consulted for admission decisions and comprise the full range of percentiles, from 1% to 91%.

We report on the 32 students recruited to the Vanderbilt IMSD from 2007–2011, of which 28 completed the PhD to date. While the data set is not large, the predictive trends between GRE and long-term graduate outcomes (publications, first author publications, time to degree, predoctoral fellowship awards, and faculty evaluations) are remarkably null and there is sufficient precision to rule out even mild relationships between GRE and these outcomes.

2 Likes

Computers for videogames in Kentucky’s new Esports Lounge.

Any chance you can c/p that? Very curious to read it but don’t have a WSJ sub

Archive.fo/baF4u

Well, I guess Kentucky is going on dlk9s jr’s college list.

1 Like

Looks like archive.whacamole is inoperable without tracking cookies now.

Behavioral research is a field of frauds. Well here’s the latest case with the added twist that she’s suing everyone for $25M. She isn’t going to win a defamation case, but just the dead man switch nuclear fuckery of it all is enraging and cataplectic. The people vampire hunting these frauds are academics doing it on their own time without pay because in 2023 you have to call your own fouls, and all for the negative freeroll payoff of getting served legal notices by this psycho that will cost a fortune to make go away.

One of the papers at the center of the present controversy — a 2012 paper on dishonesty — had, in fact, already been retracted before this scandal because, in an unrelated scandal, the data in a different one of the three experiments that made up the study had been manipulated or falsified by a different person.

:leolol:

:vince:

2 Likes

You can’t beat this article for an example of maybe blaming the wrong thing

‘I don’t need a shoulder to cry on. I did all my crying right outside the commencement hall. My goal is to share a story about how campus political correctness and wokeism morphs into hatred for one’s own family.’

“His decision to allow his ex-wife to raise his preteen daughters without too much interference was another misstep.”

That’s an interesting spin on being a dead-beat dad.

Newly remodeled dorms also have Tempur-Pedic matresses for him to sleep, fuck or barf on.

Boy I attended UK at the wrong time. I also got Tubby Smith’s last few years and Billy Gillespie.

(4) The evidence of fraud detailed in our report almost certainly represents a mere subset of the evidence that the Harvard investigators were able to uncover about these four articles. For example, we have heard from some HBS faculty that Harvard’s internal report was ~1,200 pages long, which is 1,182 pages longer than the one we sent to HBS.

:vince4:

1,200 page internal report and Harvard requested all of the papers be retracted and she comes out swinging hahaha. We need a Guantanamo attachment on anti-SLAPP.

Judge sees 1200 page report issued by Harvard. Barely even matters what it says. Case dismissed. This is like if Madoff sued Markopoulos for ratting out his shit. I’m sure she can still get a solid faculty job in the Virgin Islands or South America or something.

@spidercrab already posted about this in LC and I missed it. This part

was a paper I had already written about in this thread back in Oct 2021. Absolutely amazing.

Holy shit this got my blood boiling like I was sitting on a stovetop turned up to 11.

“Maybe I should have tried harder to bring her to church with me,”

Like, yep. That must be it buddy. Im so glad that the takeaway from losing your fucking daughter is maybe you just didnt brainwash her hard enough. You seem like such a catch, how could anyone consider never wanting to see you again.

How many books do you all think could be filled by the stuff he left out of that interview?

Like, “James Wilson will be the first to tell you he isn’t the perfect father. He lost control too easily.” Boy, that doesnt seem like a red flag at all.

Or "Soon their father-daughter conversations became strained, James said. They couldn’t talk about politics. His decision to vote for Donald Trump in 2016 was nearly unforgivable.

“Phone calls with my daughter got more and more perfunctory,” James said. “By 2018, she stopped calling me.”

Couldnt possibly be that you wouldnt shut the fuck up about how great you through Trump was. Nah, Im sure it was her uppity democrat boyfriend.

Never once in the article does it say he apologized to her in any way so that maybe one day he could see her graduate and see his grandaughter. Nope, just complaining about liberal colleges instead of an ounce of introspection. Hopefully this fucker dies alone in a ditch.

1 Like

Some Conroe ISD trustees want to crack down on displays of racial inclusivity and pride, saying they represent, “symbols of personal ideologies.”

When pressed to share one of those examples, Dungan referred to a first grade student whose parent claimed they were so upset by a poster showing hands of people of different races, that they transferred classrooms.

“Just so I understand, you are seriously suggesting that you find objectionable, a poster indicating that all are included,” Stacey Chase, another trustee, said.

Dungan wouldn’t say whether she found that poster objectionable, just that she wants to avoid “situations like that” by having the board adopt stricter standards and adhere to state policies already in place, prohibiting teachers from displaying political items not relevant to curriculum.

Another trustee even asked if the poster was illegal and went on to claim previous displays of pride flags were.

“We do have violation of this law,” Misty Odenweller said.

When asked if bible verses were also in violation of existing policy and should be removed, Dungan struggled to respond.

“Right? Would you agree?” trustee Datren Williams asked Dungan.

“I don’t know,” Dungan replied.

1 Like

local school boards are basically dunning-kruger laboratories

They are just a few months from mandating a hood as official state government uniform.