Donations

Well, $600 isn’t going to go very far split 10 ways.

I just ran this situation through a probability matrix and there’s no solution. :man_shrugging:

Shouldn’t we save it for a rainy day? I figure interest in politics is gonna drop when the election is over.

1 Like

If we can’t raise the funds to pay the hosting bill the site is completely dead, not just a drop in interest.

1 Like

No. I was responding to Trolly. There is money for hosting.

Yeah, I as a Patron for a while and then stopped that and I honestly can’t recall why. I think it had something to do with allowing posts advocating violence, but … meh these days. Wold be hapy to donate again, but it doesn’t seem needed and somehow seems kinda disproportionate (like, the $60/year I’d donate seems more than necessary)

The most recent donation has been received. Thanks?

My opening this up in front of my wife initiated a fun conversation about the fact that I was a treasurer for an online forum, and that apparently meant that people could send me random gift cards that:

• obligated me to donate the equivalent amount of cash to the site.
  • eat $25 worth of skyline chili

I will of course provide a trip report of my consuming this chili, but I’m not sure when that’s going to be. I’ll just say it’s not a high priority right now. But I want to be clear: Donations in the form of gift cards will not be recognized without prior approval. I never volunteered for consuming whatever kind of crazy shit you guys can find gift cards for.

As always, thanks for your support.

22 Likes

This is the real reason to hoard toilet paper.

Don’t eat the Skyline, man. It’s a trap.

@BestOf

1 Like

Any update on the accounts?

It’s been a while - thanks for the nudge.

1. Current status:
Patreon balance of $896.70 with 22 active donors.
Paypal balance of $166.40 made up of one-time donations from various donors, less payments made to zikzak for hosting.
Ads: I’m pretty uninformed about Ads. My understanding is that both google and Amazon efforts have yielded virtually nothing. (I think we might have a hypothetical amount on Google, but not large enough to actually withdraw.) @zikzak knows more about this, so hopefully he’ll pop in with info about ads.

Total of $1,063.10 available through Patreon and Paypal.

2. Outflows
After a hosting upgrade earlier this year, this is now $40/month for hosting paid to reimburse zikzak. (@simplicitus has covered the website registration without reimbursement - thanks! )

3. Ads
Again, don’t know much/anything about current ads.

Overall, we are definitely self sufficient, which is great and very much appreciated. I just wish we had a way to gain more users. I really enjoy hanging out on this site and wish there were more people here.

2 Likes

I know we were considering ways to use the funds previously. As a thought, what about running a Facebook ads campaign? I am happy to help volunteer running the actual campaigns, but would need someone more technical to help figure out the attribution piece and also someone to help with the creatives.

Just an idea, I am not overly attached to it or anything.

1 Like

I’d vote no on sending any site funds to Zuckerberg and co.

5 Likes

Half true. Amazon started strong, then quickly fell apart several times, then came back and never generated another nickle. Numerous other campaigns were also attempted, some of which generated multiple nickles, and little else. Current campaign is holding steady at a bit over a buck a day, which will likely be enough to cover hosting. We have yet to hit a withdrawal threshold anywhere, but should by the end of this month if nothing goes wrong.

3 Likes

Even if those funds are used to draw people away from FaceBook? I hate FB and it seems fine to me.

I won’t claim to be an authority on this stuff, but it seems unlikely to me that we could create and place ads that were so effective they brought people to this forum and also caused them to stop using Facebook.

Put another way, the amount of money we’d be giving them directly would dwarf any loss of revenue they would experience from our ads reducing their traffic.

If it were up to me (and I know it’s definitely not), I’d let the forum traffic continue to grow (such as it is) organically. Maybe put more effort into Twitter and other “free” channels, if there are folks who are willing to step up and put in the time.

Finally, I think that most here understand that spending the money collected so far would need to involve some sort of democratic process that people could accept and even hopefully feel good about. There were some attempts to flesh that out early on that were a little rough and kind of turned the subject into a bit of a third rail. So, I don’t really have any ideas (and none of it is my money anyway so take this for what it’s worth).

1 Like

This is ignoring that there are 22 patrons through Patreon meaning at least $22 a month is being added to the coffers, plus eventually the ad money will build up enough to actually be withdrawn.

Gotta ask, why are there ads at all if this site’s expenses are paid for by donations?

Because it’s basically free money, and people who don’t want to see ads can easily avoid them through any number of means, including just by joining this group: https://unstuckpolitics.com/g/AdOptOut

There are longer answers, but the last time this subject came up it turned into a huge drama bomb.

This is a reasonable question that may be worth a community vote. My personal view is that I’m not crazy about entirely relying on donations for a few reasons:

1. There’s no guarantee that current patreon contributors will continue to contribute. Two former regular contributors stopped their contributions after becoming unhappy with some aspect of the site. And that’s ok! People shouldn’t feel compelled to contribute, particularly since we’re experiencing quite a lot of economic uncertainty. I appreciate the fact that people have been generous. But I just want to point out that current Patreons are no guarantee of future Patreons.

2. It feels a little unfair to me to place the costs of the site entirely on the small group of donors. That could be a completely idiosyncratic take.

3. Stepping into more controversial territory, this site’s expenses as currently reported do not reflect the enormous amount of uncompensated labor that @zikzak and @anon46587892 have put into the site. I continue to have hope that we’ll be able to recognize their efforts in some way.

So my overall view of the current ad status is that the ads are unobtrusive, avoidable, and a good way to provide some of the ongoing funds for the site. And to be clear, I’m not a mod or an admin or anyone of any particular importance. I just keep track of the money and direct it to the places that the community approves.

12 Likes