Donations

Traffic isn’t growing much and server loads are fine, but we’re going to need more disk space eventually, and the way Digital Ocean structures its packages it’s going to make the most sense to upgrade everything to a $40 plan when that time comes. We’ve gone from 59% to 68% in the past 30 days, so I’d say we’re looking at April-ish for that change.

Untitled

Advertise on 22

9 Likes

Yeah, let’s do this. I’ll start a poll unless @zikzak or @anon46587892 refuse for some reason.

I would not be happy about the responsibility for how to disburse funds to the ~dozen people who have done work to create, maintain and promote this site being forced on me.

No, I think the idea is that $600 is split between you and greg only. $300 each unless you two think one has done a lot more than the other.

I would be opposed to that. There are others who have done substantial work as well and if the admins are being compensated so should everybody else who has contributed.

Ok…well I was thinking that too many people have done some substantial work to divvy up the spoils to everyone who has done anything. You two have done the most and the site would die without you. Do you care to name names and work on a % breakdown? That sounds like a lot of work that won’t happen and so the account will continue to tick up without any plan. Hence the suggestion of pats on the back for the dozens of small contributions and a token ~$300 bucks for the big names.

Can’t speak for anyone else or what other people deserve, but as for my part a t-shirt would be great when I start shipping shirts, which is coming along. I think zz and greg have done far more than anyone else - unless you count modding or maybe the twitter account, which I haven’t paid attention to really.

We should probably figure something out about how to split it up and not put that on zz and greg, but zz or anyone else, who do you think has done much work and should be included in the division?

I’m going to throw something out there by way of making this decision. It could be a very difficult decision that gets argued about for a long time, but I propose after some discussion here that I alluded to in the previous paragraph, we just make a post saying here’s what has been done, here are some options, we’d like to appoint X to make this decision and then find some totally uninvolved X willing to just make the call. It’s not that much money that anyone really cares that much, but we could still manage to argue and vote on it for a month if it’s done the wrong way.

One reason I am not a current patron is that there is no purpose for the money AFAICT. I think many people like me would be happy to contribute if we can iron this all out. But it looks like @microbet has a slightly different plan than me and knows more about the behind-the-scenes work so I’ll bow out of this conversation for now.

1 Like

Here’s a list I quickly threw together a few months back:

Well, $600 isn’t going to go very far split 10 ways.

I just ran this situation through a probability matrix and there’s no solution. :man_shrugging:

Shouldn’t we save it for a rainy day? I figure interest in politics is gonna drop when the election is over.

1 Like

If we can’t raise the funds to pay the hosting bill the site is completely dead, not just a drop in interest.

1 Like

No. I was responding to Trolly. There is money for hosting.

Yeah, I as a Patron for a while and then stopped that and I honestly can’t recall why. I think it had something to do with allowing posts advocating violence, but … meh these days. Wold be hapy to donate again, but it doesn’t seem needed and somehow seems kinda disproportionate (like, the $60/year I’d donate seems more than necessary)

The most recent donation has been received. Thanks?

My opening this up in front of my wife initiated a fun conversation about the fact that I was a treasurer for an online forum, and that apparently meant that people could send me random gift cards that:

• obligated me to donate the equivalent amount of cash to the site.
  • eat $25 worth of skyline chili

I will of course provide a trip report of my consuming this chili, but I’m not sure when that’s going to be. I’ll just say it’s not a high priority right now. But I want to be clear: Donations in the form of gift cards will not be recognized without prior approval. I never volunteered for consuming whatever kind of crazy shit you guys can find gift cards for.

As always, thanks for your support.

22 Likes

This is the real reason to hoard toilet paper.

Don’t eat the Skyline, man. It’s a trap.

@BestOf

1 Like

Any update on the accounts?