Missing posters

I know Rocco’s had technical issues with this site getting blocked for him at work, don’t know if there’s a fix for that.

Dang, that sucks.

I think he left because we went too hard on moderating. Either that or because we didn’t go hard enough.

1 Like

I thought when we moved from the temp site he said he probably wasn’t coming over to the new site. But didn’t really give a reason.

Does rep still post on 2p2?

I have decided instead of being pissed off about politics to sit out this primary until it’s mostly over.

3 Likes

Third base!

Hi guys, longtime lurker here, one of the bigger ones if I’m reading hokie’s Fun Poster Data charts right. I’ve lurked here, Exiled, and 2+2, and used to post occasionally with you guys on 2+2 Politics. I wasn’t sure where to put this, and didn’t want to start a new thread, so am posting it here.

Anyway, I just want to say thank you to almost everyone involved here, for making this such an amazing place. This is the best politics resource on the Internet that I know of, and the thoughtful, informative posts from people here have shaped my thinking, in my journey over many years from former conservative to borderline progressive. This place is educational, witty, funny, and downright inspirational, and has helped me to inform and change other people’s lives as well.

What finally brought me to make this post is the Coronavirus thread. It is incredibly informative, and if you include the links in it, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the single best source of information in the US. Thank you to everyone posting quality material in that thread.

There are too many great posters here to name, and I don’t want to make a list and omit people, so if you are a quality poster here, then I am talking to you, and giving you my personal thanks. But I also want to mention one poster who I think is absolutely outstanding, open, honest, usually right, passionate, and articulate in his thoughts and beliefs, and that is Johnny Truant. Thank you Johnny for the impact your words have had on my life, including pulling my kids early from school (which still has not shut down yet) and getting my office to allow WFH.

A huge thank you also to the people doing the work and putting in the time and energy to run this site and make it an incredible place to post and lurk at. If there is a way to make a completely anonymous donation, please let me know. (I clicked the patreon link, but it didn’t seem anonymous as it needs CC or PayPal. I am thinking something along the lines of buying a prepaid Visa card and making one time donations.)

Keep up the great work everyone. Unstuck4Lyfe.

19 Likes

@spidercrab. Look up

Afaict, the spidercrab link requires PayPal, and the patreon link requires recurring CC. Can I use a prepaid Visa, or some other completely anonymous method somehow?

Edit: PM’d spidercrab

I was thinking spidercrab could make special arrangements for you. If not, let someone else know and maybe they will act as an intermediary. Have you seen Enemy of the State? They had some kind of drop off scheme where Gene Hackman put an X on a mailbox as a signal. We could work something like that out for the drop. I guess that makes me Lisa Bonet.

1 Like

Any update?

This is what I communicated to patron, but it might be useful to communicate to everyone:

• If you send through paypal, that’s going to communicate some personal information (name and email) about both the contributor and me. At this point, I’m fine with revealing that information since so many people likely have it already. But a contributor might not want that.

• If you don’t want to reveal information about yourself, you could physically mail cash or a prepaid debit card to me. That means revealing all my real-life info, but again I’m not hard to google and locate, so I’m not super concerned about it.

• What might be the best solution for privacy is to purchase an Amazon gift card and send me the redemption code through a PM on this site or through an anonymous email. (I say Amazon only because that’s the same as cash to me and I’d just transfer an equivalent amount of my own cash to the paypal balance.) I think that should work, but I’m not positive. Maybe worth a test of a tiny amount. I chose Amazon because that’s somewhere where a gift card is literally equivalent to cash for me. If you’d rather not support the evil empire, I’d probably be willing to take other places I shop. But not a gift card from your local burrito place, unless your local burrito place is somewhere in central Ohio.

• I’m open to trying out alternative arrangements that maintain anonymity, but I’m not getting involved in cryptocurrency.

• If a contribution would strain your finances at all, please don’t worry about it. As the old adage goes, make sure your own oxygen mask is on and working before trying to help someone with theirs.

• If you do choose to contribute, any dollar amount is absolutely fine, whether it’s a one-time thing or everyone once in a while.

• Probably the best way to contribute to the site is by attracting new users. I think the site’s ability to survive long-term will depend upon whether or not we can draw new people, rather than just hanging on to existing users from 2+2.

6 Likes

Do you accept Skyline Chili gift certificates?

3 Likes

Haha, I think I’ve had skyline twice in the 10 years I’ve lived here. One of those times what at a Reds game and was very alcohol-assisted. That being said, it was AMAZING. So yes, I will accept Skyline Chili certificates just from you.

Also, I just redeemed an Amazon code from patron (sent via PM) and can confirm that it did not reveal any personal information at all. So that is probably the easiest way to do fully anonymous one-time contributions.

I got two cans of Skyline right now, but I’m hoarding them.

1 Like

Anatta keeps posting on 22. I’ve tried to get him over here but no luck.

I made skyline dip for our wrap party and all these Californians went absolutely nuts over it.

heheheh

will pm shortly

unacceptable

1 Like

I prefer Gold Star. I’ve made Cincinnati-style chili from scratch before.