Donald J Trump: Rip Van Winkle edition

Last month Andrew Weissmann said Trump would normally have 45 days to ask for en banc review but DC could shorten this to something like 5 days (haven’t seen any indication of this yet). If denied, he’d have 90 days to appeal to SC. He said both of those appeals would fail, but timing is key. This is my weak NAL understanding anyway.

1 Like

According to NYT, DC gave Trump a week before the case restarts.

The panel said, for instance, that the underlying case, which was put on hold by the trial judge in December, would remain suspended if Mr. Trump appealed its decision to the Supreme Court by Monday, Feb. 12. If the Supreme Court decided to take the case, it could issue its own order freezing the trial proceedings.

Not sure how en banc fits in here. Maybe they mean either to request en banc or go to SC.

I feel like this trial starting in the summer could be a good thing…lots of court dates keeping him from campaigning and rallying, the trial being front and center in the media during the heart of campaign season, etc.

Although of course if he gets acquitted, even with tons of ugly shit coming out, then the TOTAL EXONERATION aspect of it will probably be coming at the worst possible time.

2 Likes

I thought he’d trash the DC Appeals Court first but maybe he’s still working on that post.

A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES MUST HAVE FULL IMMUNITY, WITHOUT WHICH IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM/HER TO PROPERLY FUNCTION. ANY MISTAKE, EVEN IF WELL INTENDED, WOULD BE MET WITH ALMOST CERTAIN INDICTMENT BY THE OPPOSING PARTY AT TERM END. EVEN EVENTS THAT “CROSS THE LINE” MUST FALL UNDER TOTAL IMMUNITY, OR IT WILL BE YEARS OF TRAUMA TRYING TO DETERMINE GOOD FROM BAD. THERE MUST BE CERTAINTY. EXAMPLE: YOU CAN’T STOP POLICE FROM DOING THE JOB OF STRONG & EFFECTIVE CRIME PREVENTION BECAUSE YOU WANT TO GUARD AGAINST THE OCCASIONAL “ROGUE COP” OR “BAD APPLE.” SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO LIVE WITH “GREAT BUT SLIGHTLY IMPERFECT.” ALL PRESIDENTS MUST HAVE COMPLETE & TOTAL PRESIDENTIAL IMMUNITY, OR THE AUTHORITY & DECISIVENESS OF A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES WILL BE STRIPPED & GONE FOREVER. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE AN EASY DECISION. GOD BLESS THE SUPREME COURT!

Oh, wait, here it is

https://twitter.com/TrumpDailyPosts/status/1754901714048802896?t=ZzWN_W-_9WBvwDo9qj8juw&s=19

My understanding is that they have a week to appeal to SCOTUS. After that, it defaults back to Chutkan

It’s also my understanding that the en blanc will be quickly rejected and that there’s a good chance SCOTUS declines to even hear it

1 Like

Agree that even if nothing ultimately comes from all these trials, they will be a welcome distraction for Trump’s campaign. With all the court dates I don’t see how he will have the time to articulate his plan for making fun of Rosie O’Donnell.

2 Likes

Sorry to the minorities that have been wrongly harmed by “rogue cops” or “bad apples”. You just have to live with it - assuming they only maimed you instead of killed you.

1 Like

lol he gets another appeal before the Supreme Court sits on it for several more months LOL LAW

1 Like

Don’t let the perfect become the enemy of the “GREAT BUT SLIGHTLY IMPERFECT”!

2 Likes

I’m not sure I even understand the argument about rogue cops. Clearly they CAN and ARE prosecuted (although not nearly enough). Doesn’t this immediately undermine his thesis? But then, so does the fact that not a single other president has ever been indicted before. I guess when you’re playing to an audience of idiots you can say anything

1 Like

I think it’s the audience thing.

Anyway, this somewhat clarifies things for me. In short, it will be up to the SC whether or not to play along with the delay bs.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1754903522137506239?t=HGS3V4Af1ZyKfu13ra4zxA&s=19

Very clear explanation. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

CAN THE PRESIDENT MURDER POLITICAL OPPONENTS WITH IMPUNITY? STAY TUNED FOR A NAIL BITER

11 Likes

This is the Jan 6th trial right? I get confused.

How long can SC delay before ruling?

They usually like to wrap up their business in June and take the summer off, so June is the latest they’ll drag this imo.

Is he admitting there that HE is a bad apple?

1 Like

So four years after 1/6 the courts have determined that it’s theoretically possible to charge Donald Trump with crimes, which no normal, non-lawrbo person ever seriously disputed in the first place. Maybe a decade or two and we’ll actually hold him accountable if he doesn’t win and overhaul the entire judicial system first. The system works, bro, no one is above the law.

Defending Obama ldo

Yes, Jan 6 trial being tried in DC District Court in front of Tanya Chutkan. See Iron’s response on decision timing. Iirc Chutkan indicated she would set aside her vacation for an August trial. Things seem to be lining up that way but fingers crossed for something earlier in case lawyers/defendant get COVID or whatever.

I get confused too. I doubt Trump can keep it all straight.

The monkey’s paw issue here is that if the courts ultimately determine that former presidents don’t have unlimited immunity, it opens the door for Obama to be prosecuted for the Central Park rape case.

9 Likes