Democratic Primaries 2020 - With a whimper

Fine, let’s talk about that McElwee article a bit more.

Due to Duverger’s law, the US political system tends towards a two-party system. That means that coalitions are formed before elections, rather than after them, like in a multi-party parliamentary system.

McElwee sees coalition-building as horse-trading on issues. That’s what coalition members do after an election in parliamentary election, not what coalition members do before a first-past-the-post election in the US. What the center-left coalition needs is a uniting narrative in the way that Republicans have organized its coalition partners to be unified around lowering taxes and being anti-government. The Democratic Party has not organized its coalition partners nearly as efficiently.

I think it’s a mistake to see Medicare for All as the uniting force. Yes, it’s popular, but it’s only one issue and doesn’t have easy linkage to other issues. I’ve argued that the uniting narrative for a center-left coalition should be one of class warfare against economic elites and the need for strong government as the only tool capable of protecting the people against corporations, banks, and the 1%. Universal health care can be framed as being derived from that. Addressing issues of racism and sexism can be framed as being derived from that. Protecting workers can be framed as being derived from that.

The group traditionally included in the center-left who wouldn’t feel comfortable in that message are the neoliberals who use social issues to hide that their main concern is deregulation and smaller government in line with the classical liberalism that they are a resurgence of. And, really, fuck those guys. I’m not crying if Democrats lose the vote of some gay hedge fund manager in Manhattan.

2 Likes

Nice to see Noam laying the “I remember the 30s” smackdown on all of the children itt.

The question I have for those that won’t vote Biden, if Biden was running against Hitler would you vote for him?

Stalin saved the world from fascism

2 Likes

I would ask if they would have bothered to make a choice that far down on that ballot if we had IRV with all the major Democratic primary candidates, Trump, and maybe some third-party people or if they would have left Trump and Biden unranked.

Was Hitler ever credibly accused of sexual assault?

2 Likes

Cite or ban

Teaming with Stalin to defeat Hitler was a better play than teaming with Hitler to defeat Stalin.

it appears as though chomsky is wrong about the social democrats and the communists

1 Like

Roflmao

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1251293565323362305

Jfc a fucking neckbeard video game designer from California trying to well akshully Noam Chomsky about 1930s European history.

Yes I’m appealing to authority, goddam children.

Homeless Gandalf can fuck right off.

Yes, maybe, there are suspicions about molesting his underage cousin who later committed suicide.

Hmm well, that will give the NeverBidenIGuessTrump? Crew something to ponder as they debate Hitler v Biden.

Right, the only way to prove you’re not a nazi is by voting for Sanders. And even if you vote for Sanders you might still be a nazi anyway. Cool story bro.

Lol dog don’t like act like sisyphus with the rock because I asked for people to have more composure than the cat with the laser pointer.

Oh so we’re at the I Don’t Know What An Analogy Is part of the program.

Cool. Cool.

1 Like

What we are talking about is specifically demonizing people in nazi-adjacent fashion.

It’s all fun and games until it’s not, huh?

Well, you’d better get on that phone, son. Start knocking on those doors.