Democratic Primaries 2020 - With a whimper

For sure. I’m certainly not disparaging that activity. We’re all primed for that dopamine baby.

1 Like

Can we talk about how an Indian restaurant near me is doing cultural appropriation?

Has this been done in the US? Because this shit is delicious, I’m telling you.

I’ve seen similar things at Indian restaurants here. They normally have a few western selections to feed the kids or dad who won’t eat anything but steak and potatoes.

It’s straight down the line Indian food other than that.

Just make some tandoori beef . That’ll show them what’s what.

As a reminder: the primary argument for Biden in the primaries was electability. Whenever you claim “my candidate is more electable”, that is an explicit threat that your candidate’s voters won’t show up to vote for the other candidate. Otherwise, they wouldn’t be more electable, right?

Bernie had his own electability argument that was basically “I’ll get young, lefty, and disaffected voters to show up who wouldn’t otherwise vote dem”. The media, and people on this forum, acknowledged that and cackled after various primaries about how the youth vote just didn’t turn up for Bernie in the primaries.

Now it turns out that those voters (a minority of Bernie supporters) that everybody agreed would not vote for traditional Dems are, well, not voting for a traditional Dem and everybody loses their god damn minds. After team Biden made it the centerpiece of their campaign that some portion of their voters would do the same if Bernie was the nominee.

5 Likes

No? Like “threat” is a loaded term there. There’s a difference between just not showing up to vote and Biden voters who might vote for Trump if Bernie was the Dem nominee (for the sake of argument; I’m not necessarily arguing such people actually exist). The difference is that in the case of leftists not showing up to vote, that’s carrying out a threat (in that presumably they’d still prefer the Democrat to the Republican, even if only slightly) whereas if centrists vote R rather than D if the candidate is too far left, that’s not strategic voting, it’s just voting their beliefs.

There’s an Indian place near where my parents live that does curry wings, and they’re outstanding.

Also I’m not sure what the claim is here, like as far as I can tell people are going to show up for Biden. He’s demolishing in the polls.

I’m not sure why this matters or why you think it reflects better on Biden to Trump voters than on Bernie to staying at home voters. Both sides acknowledged that some members of their team wouldn’t vote for the other guy, one side made that the primary plank of their platform, and now they’re doing this performative outrage when it happens.

My point is you don’t get to run on “elect me or my voters, who are more ideologically aligned with Donald Trump than Bernie Sanders, will vote Trump” and then get angry when some of the other candidate’s voters don’t line up to vote for you.

1 Like

You care about healthcare a lot less than you care about being able to continue being a dick on the internet.

1 Like

Glass houses friend.

2 Likes

this seems like one of those mask off moments that’s sorta jaw dropping. like I’ve always assumed, but it’s weird to see it written out.

5 Likes

This is all really unnecessarily convoluted. If there were posters on this board who were saying they’d vote for Biden but not Bernie, (even though they saw Bernie as a lesser of two evils when lined up with Trump), of course most everyone would be telling them that they were being silly, selfish, or whatever the charges being made here are.

Also, are people actually “angry” about Bernie voters not voting for Biden? Seems to me like most of them will vote for Biden (except the young ones, but they didn’t even vote for Bernie, so that’s to be expected), so there’s not a lot to be mad at.

Outside of the performative aspect of it all being tedious, it doesn’t annoy me too much when posters claim they’re not gonna vote for the Dem; I just don’t buy that they’re sincere about helping the people they want to help.

Also, vindaloo wings sound slamming.

I still find it interesting that I posted that we should get rid of all the politicians that voted for an illegal war and @DrChesspain thought this was the proper moment to dunk on what he perceived to be “cancel culture”.

It is attitudes like these that allowed Bush, Obama, and Trump to kill millions of people abroad. The lack of pushback to statements like DrChesspain’s mirrors the lack of pushback on the heinous war crimes that the United States has committed. If you say dumbass shit like this, or let it slide, you are a little complicit. Not as complicit as those pushing the buttons of course, but a little complicit.

If you get teh bad feels hearing about your complicity, imagine how it feels to have your house bombed by the American Empire. Joseph Biden will continue the bombing and the imperialism. The bare minimum you can do is have the right attitude about American war crimes.

4 Likes

The bolded parts refer to 2 separate groups of people. Afaik there were zero Biden supporters here during the primaries.

The Afghanistan War was fully justified under international law and waging it was the correct decision.

lol no

Even if this was true, do the results of the war make it look like it was the right thing to do? Just completely destroying an area and kicking off mass starvation? Was that good?